Chapter 1

Nearly  7  years  has  passed  since  the  mountain  had  fallen.  In  that  time,  a  lot  has  changed  around Arkadia.  There  were  new  homes  built  around  the  wreckage,  a  greenhouse  so  that  they  could  grow plants  all  year  round,  but  the  biggest  change  had  come  from  the  people  living  there.  Lincoln  had taught  them  to  hunt  without  guns  so  that  they  didn’t  scare  all  the  animals  in  the  area  away,  they  had learnt  to  plant  and  grow  crops,  they  had  learnt  how  to  survive  on  the  ground  and  it  had  been  hard.
They  have  an  unspoken  truce  with  the  grounders,  which  consists  of  you  leave  us  alone  and  we  leave you  alone.  However,  Octavia,  Lincoln  and  Kane  are  permitted  to  go  to  Tondc  once  a  month  to  trade for  things  that  they  can’t  get  for  themselves.  2  years  after  the  mountain  a  messenger  had  delivered word  from  Polis  that  Lincoln’s  kill  order  had  been  removed,  nobody  knew  what  had  changed  Lexa’s mind  they  were  just  glad  that  she  had.
In  7  years,  a  lot  has  changed  undoubtedly,  but  one  thing  that  hadn’t  changed  was  that  Clarke  was still  nowhere  to  be  found.  For  the  first  year  after  she  had  left  they  had  looked  everywhere  they  could for  her  and  not  found  a  trace  anywhere.  Kane  even  asked  Indra  if  she  had  heard  anything  about Clarke,  but  she  told  him  she  hadn’t.  By  now  most  people  believed  that  she  was  dead.  An  omega  in the  wild  could  never  cope,  well  according  to  most  of  the  alphas  in  Arkadia,  but  Bellamy  and  Abby knew  that  Clarke  is  no  ordinary  omega.  They  both  still  hold  out  hope  that  she  is  still  out  there  and that  she  will  return  one  day.

*********
Today  is  Octavia’s  favourite  day  of  the  month.  She,  Lincoln  and  Kane  have  just  arrived  at  Tondc  for their  monthly  trading  trip.  Even  though  some  of  the  grounders  still  distrust  her  and  throw  glairs  at  her every  chance  that  they  get,  she  still  feels  more  at  home  here  than  she  ever  has  on  the  Arc  or  in Arkadia.
The  trip  is  always  bittersweet  for  Lincoln  though  as  a  lot  of  the  people  he  grew  up  with  still  see  him as  a  traitor.  Some  simply  ignore  his  presence,  whilst  others  look  at  him  like  they  wish  they  could enact  the  kill  order  that  had  been  place  on  his  head.  The  truth  is  that  he  misses  his  people,  he  misses that  games  they  play,  the  songs,  the  dancing,  but  most  of  all  he  misses  the  feeling  of  home.
Kane  just  sees  the  trip  as  a  way  to  continue  getting  better  relations  with  the  grounders  and  he  is  still fascinated  by  grounder  society.
After  leading  their  horses  to  the  stables  for  the  day,  the  three  set  about  their  tasks.  They  trade  fruit, that  wouldn’t  be  possible  to  grow  at  this  time  of  year  if  it  wasn’t  for  the  greenhouse,  for  furs  for  the fast-approaching  winter.
They  quickly  realise  that  Tondc  is  a  flurry  of  activity,  even  more  so  than  usual.  They  were  preparing for  a  celebration  of  some  sort.  After  Lincoln  asked  one  of  the  traders  what  the  celebration  is  for,  he  is told  that  the  commander  had  arrived  that  morning  and  that  she  had  brought  her  mate  who  is  now  the Kwin  of  the  coalition,  and  their  two  pup,  the  prince  and  princess,  with  her  for  the  first  time.  They were  having  a  celebration  to  welcome  Heda  and  her  family.
“I  thought  that  the  commander  wasn’t  allowed  to  mate.  You  told  me  that  she  is  supposed  to  live  her life  alone.”  Octavia  says  looking  at  Lincoln.  She  doesn’t  understand  what  has  changed,  but  it  must be  something  important  to  change  years  of  tradition.  Maybe  Lexa  is  trying  to  change  things,  first  with removing  Lincolns  kill  order,  which  is  something  nobody  thought  would  happen,  and  now  with gaining  a  family.
“She  is  only  aloud  to  mate  someone  who  is  who  is  of  equal  rank  to  her,  or  the  heir  to  one  of  the clans.  The  problem  is  that  there  is  no  one  of  equal  rank  to  her  and  if  she  mated  an  heir  then  she would  be  accused  of  showing  favouritism  to  that  clan.  I  heard  a  rumour  years  ago,  about  Heda finding  a  mate  and  that  there  was  a  little  prince  and  princess,  but  I  believed  that  it  was  just  a  rumour.” He  shrugged  his  shoulders  “I  guess  I  was  wrong.”  He  is  just  as  confuse  a  Octavia  about  this.
“I  think  we  should  finish  up  and  head  back.  We  don’t  want  to  intrude  on  their  celebration.”  Kane tells  them  obviously  not  wanting  to  cause  offence  with  the  presence  of  outsiders  at  such  a  celebration and  not  entirely  comfortable  with  having  Octavia  so  close  to  the  commander.
Octavia’s  mind  is  running  wild.  She  wants  to  know  who  has  mated  to  Heda.  Who  would  want  to mate  with  an  alpha  that  is  incapable  of  love.  What  poor  omega  has  been  forced  to  mate  with someone  who  cares  for  nothing  other  than  herself  and  dominance  over  others.  She  knows  that grounders  treat  omegas  better  than  they  were  treated  on  the  arc  where  they  were  basically  treated  as property,  but  surly  this  omega  hasn’t  mated  of  their  own  free  will.
A voice  snaps  Octavia  out  of  her  thoughts  “Alex,  come  here,  it's  time  to  get  ready  for  tonight's celebrations”  Even  though  the  voice  is  speaking  Trigedasleng  she  recognises  it  straight  away.  Clarke.
She  spins  around  trying  to  find  the  owner  of  that  voice  and  spots  the  back  of  head  of  braided  golden hair.  She  bolts  after  the  head,  but  loses  it  in  the  crowd  of  the  market  place.  She  tries  to  pick  up  on Clarke’s  scent,  but  can’t  find  it.  There  is  something  there  that  smells  like  her,  but  there  is  something different  about  it  so  it  couldn’t  be  her.
Kane  and  Lincoln  catch  up  to  her  asking  what  happened.  They  are  looking  around  for  threats  or  for any  sign  of  what  made  Octavia  run  away  from  like  she  did.
“Clarke,  I  saw  Clarke,  I’m  sure  it  was  her.  I  heard  her  voice,  but  I  can’t  find  her  scent  anywhere.” Octavia  blurts  out  still  looking  around  the  market  place  to  see  if  she  can  spot  Clarke  again. “Octavia  if  you  can’t  find  her  scent  it  probably  wasn’t  her.  It  was  probably  just  someone  who  just looked  like  her.”  Kane  tries  to  calm  Octavia  down.  “Did  you  see  her  face?”  He  asks  sceptically. Nobody  has  seen  Clarke  in  years  and  he  had  spoken  to  Indra  on  several  occasions  about  her,  but  she had  always  told  him  that  she  hadn’t  seen  her.
“No,  just  the  back  of  her  head,  but  I  heard  her  voice.  I’m  sure  it  was  her.”  Octavia  is  getting  annoyed by  Kane  not  believing  her,  but  she  is  so  sure  that  it  was  Clarke  it  had  to  be.  She  couldn’t  just  be imagining  her,  she  heard  her  voice  and  she  would  know  her  anywhere.
“OK,  it’s  getting  late  and  we  need  to  get  back  to  Arkadia.  We  can  talk  about  this  when  we  get  back there.”  Kane  tells  her  and  starts  walking  back  to  the  stables.  Leaving  Octavia,  no  chance  to  argue with  him  even  though  she  really  wants  to.
Octavia  takes  one  last  look  around,  trying  to  spot  the  familiar  locks  of  blond  hair,  but  she  can’t  see her  anywhere.  She  reluctantly  follows  Kane  back  to  the  horses,  mounts  up  and  rides  out  of  Tondc. She  decides  that  she  will  go  and  see  Abby  as  soon  as  she  gets  back.  Abby  will  let  her  come  back  to find  Clarke  she  is  sure  of  it.