Radha's Birthday

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO U....HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR RADHA.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO U."

The song blared in Radha's numb ears as she tried to perceive her surroundings. Her entire body ached, mind was numbed and heart beat was erratic from that inexplicable dream. It took her sometime to realise that she was surrounded by a mountain of presents while some bleary heads closed in on her from the top, bellowing the birthday song like a buffalo.

Soon her vision cleared and she could see her parents and relatives with birthday caps on their heads and whistles in their mouths, grinning like children in a playshop.

Radha sat up. Usually such an act, conducted early in the morning, waking her up from her bed would have irritated her greatly; but today she was blissfully cheerful. Maybe it was that unfathomable place in the dream, or that enchanting man or that it was her 18th birthday. Radha jumped and stood up on her bed, her legs shaky "Its my 18th birthday. O MY GOD!"

 O MY GOD!"

"Yes dear. Happy birthday my love. May your life be fulfilled with all the happiness in the world", her mother Kriti, embraced and kissed her forehead.

Radha's grandparents gave her a toothy grin.They gave her a sloppy kiss each in addition to lots of blessings. All the other relatives congratulated her for her 18 years of survival on earth inspite of her record of mischiefs and hobby of getting into trouble from which only her father could rescue her.

"Mom, where is papa?" Radha inquired.

No one replied but all smiled broadly. One of her small mischievious cousins climbed the bed ;caught hold of her head and forcefully tied a blindfold. Radha felt herself get steered by her cousins who occasionally tried to drive her into a wall.

On reaching what felt like the entrance door, her blindfold was taken off.

A bright red Ford Fiesta stood before her, whose hood gleamed under the bright sunlinght. Her father beamed at her from behind the car.

 Her father beamed at her from behind the car

"Surprise!!!!" Everyone cheered.

"Its so gorgeous, papa"she exclaimed.

"Now that you are an adult, you are legally allowed to have a car which you always tried to secretly drive when i was not present. I keep knowledge of everything, you know" said Radha's father Suryapratap, smiling.