Chapter One

Counting the bars on my jail cell, I waited for my dad to come bail me out.

            Again.

            He was really going to kill me this time. Probably the Magic Council as well, but I didn’t really care about them.

The soft sound of a lock clicking brought a smirk to my lips. I listened as the door to the holding cell area swung open. Without looking, I knew it was my favorite arresting officer.

            “Good evening, Olivia.”

            My eyes narrowed just slightly. I hated my full name. At least he had enough sense to leave off the last name.

            “Sup, Laurence.”

            I heard a slight rustling as he leaned against my cells bars. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw his blue cop uniform and the back of his head. He always ended up being the one to cuff me and bring me in. Probably because he was one of the few cops that also worked for the Magic Council, the ruling body of witches and wizards. It was rather ironic since I remember him being in the same crowd as me when I was a freshman and he was a senior.

Oh well. It made sense to have a few of our own in various offices to help keep our secret hidden when mishaps occur.

Mishaps like me.

            The thought brought a genuine smile to my lips. I rather liked leaving chaos in my wake. Life was so much more interesting that way.

            I heard Laurence sigh. I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Another lecture was coming. “Olivia, you need to stop doing this. It’s dangerous and you…”

            Blah. Blah. Blah.

I tuned him out. It was nothing I hadn’t heard a dozen times before. Frankly, I was rather surprised I hadn’t ended up in Juvie yet. I wondered when the Council would start treating me with kid gloves and finally come after me again.

            “Are you even listening to me?”

            Laurence’s sharp voice drew my attention back to him. I sighed and finally turned my head away from the ceiling. He was glaring like he could will me on fire. Too bad for him his magic was water based. I suppose he could give me a good drenching, but I wasn’t exactly afraid of a little water. In fact, I could use a shower before my dad showed up. I still smelt like beer.

            “Olivia!”

            “It’s Ollie,” I snapped back.

            “They are serious this time.”

            I laughed. “The Council? Laurence, if you haven’t forgotten, they are the ones that screwed me up.”

            “You need to stop blaming them, cause they sure as hell have stopped cutting you slack.”

            I raised my brow at that. “About time.”

            A frustrated sound radiated from the back of his throat. “God damn it, Olivia! You blew up a freaking house!”

            “Correction: I gave it a rather large skylight. I’m sure the owners will thank me.” Whoever they were.

            Laurence pinched the bridge of his nose. “What happened this time?”

            I looked back up at the ceiling. “Some bitch threw vodka in my face. That shit burns your eyes!”

            The officer groaned. “And what did you do to piss her off?”