1 // touring

CHAPTER ONE
touring
•••

CHAPTER ONEtouring•••

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ

A million stars in the night sky,
none as bright as you
You're too far away
This feeling's brand new
to me

My voice echoed through the car radio as we passed massive buildings, several of which had my face plastered on it.

"That was Oakley Carrillo with his new single 'Night Sky'. Alfred, tell me. Who do you think this song's about?" The radio broadcaster asked the guy he was on the phone with.

"I've really gotten attached to the Genevieve theory," the guy said. "The way they always hold hands and have you seen that video of them at the restaurant?"

I groaned.

"Mason, can you turn the radio off?" I asked my manager, who only shushed at me in response, turning the volume up.

"Yeah, I think everyone's seen that." The man chuckled softly.

"Yeah, so I think they were there so he could announce their relationship with his family!"

"Great theory, Alfred. What do you think about the rumors about Hanna Gritz?"

"Fake. The relationship with Hanna was obviously only for publicity. He was barely ever seen with her too," Alfred grunted.

"I think you have a point there. It was great speaking to you, Alfred. Have a great day!"

"You too Marques!" he said before Marques started talking about some other stuff that was clearly irrelevant to Mason.

"I told you not be too close to her!" My manager exclaimed.

"Genevieve is like my only friend in this shitty industry!" I retorted. "I'm not gonna stop hanging around with her."

Mason felt like Genevieve would give me a bad image, she is promoted as one of the careless indie singers who couldn't give a fuck about with the media thought of them. Sometimes I envied her for being able to actually be so real, while I was stuck at a crappy record label who felt like controlling my entire career.

"Well, too bad. You're touring again in two months," he announced. My jaw dropped to the floor as the words left his mouth. I just came from my tour.

"And you didn't even care to mention this to me?" Mason just shrugged at me.

"You know the industry. This is how it works." As if on cue, the car stopped and Mason and I got out. We walked toward the entrance of my house before he stopped me for a second.

"You chose this life. You're here because of me, alright? Don't you forget that," he said, poking his finger in my chest as he did so. His expression was stoic like it always was, and hair was slicked back, revealing the graying hairline in the front. "We still have some things to discuss. I'm not leaving just yet." He hasn't averted his gaze yet, waiting for me to respond to him, but I kept quiet. There's no point in arguing with Mason Mellark.

I broke eye contact to grab my keys and open the door, to be surprised with the nostalgic smell of my mom's 'surprise cake'. My frown turned into a huge grin as I made my way inside, my feet guiding me to the kitchen where my mom was indeed making her 'surprise cake'.

"Mom!" I yelled, and as soon as she turned around to face me, I pulled her into a huge bear hug.

"Oakley!" she yelled. "I missed you so much! How was the tour, honey?" I smiled greatly at her, not letting go of her shoulders.

"It was great, mom." I beamed. A gasp erupted from behind me and I already knew who it was.

"Oakley!" my sister Trish screeched, her arms wide open as she ran towards me and embraced me tightly, just like I did with my mom just a second ago. She let go of me a second later to give me a questioning look.

"Okay where are my souvenirs?" she enquired. I still couldn't wipe the grin off my face when I saw her.

"I missed you too, Trish." We all laughed with joy up until Mason cleared his throat.

"I'm not trying to ruin your moment of happiness but Oakley, we've got some things to discuss," Mason stated before leaving the kitchen. My smile faltered as I looked back at my family.

"I'll catch up with you later," I said as I smiled apologetically, feeling a sudden twinge of guilt scorching through my body.

Author's note:

Hey there!

As you can probably tell, this is my first book published on Wattpad! 👏👏👏

I'll tell you some things about myself.

1) I love music
2) I love movies
3) I love reading

So basically I just love all types of art 😊

Now that you're here... tell me some things about you. I'd love to get to know my readers. Also, let me know what you think of this book, I'd really appreciate it.

Xxx C.