chapter 1

My name is Lilith Jackson, and I’m 15 years old, and I live in Floundersville, Maylyn. I’m not exactly what you would call ordinary. In fact, I’m far from it. I have long dark red hair that goes all the way down my back, and it is kind of curly. I have brown eyes, and I am very muscular. I wear band shirts like ‘Iron Maiden’ and ‘Metallica’ and ‘Megadeth’ and blue jeans with black combat boots and a black leather jacket. I don’t like to wear a lot of jewelry, unlike most girls. Just a simple black ring and a black and white winged necklace. I live in a small town where everybody knows everybody. I hate it here. I want to see the world and travel, but that can never happen. My best friend (and only friend), Blake, is exactly a year younger than me. She has forest green eyes and dark brown hair that flows to her shoulders and it’s really curly. She is very athletic, but her strength doesn’t show like mine. She wears school shirts, leggings, and black tennis shoes. She also wears a light pink heart necklace that her grandma gave her. I sometimes wonder how we are friends. But she is really good with throwing knives though, and she has been practicing her aim for 2 years, but she learned incredibly fast.

We go to school at an abandoned bomb factory, because my town is crap and won’t build a real school for high schoolers, but they built nice schools for the elementary and middle schoolers. Also, the only class me and Blake have together is lunch because she is a freshman and I’m a sophomore. She also has a lot of friends and knows basically everyone in the school, and then there’s me, where most people don’t even know I’m in their class. Sometimes I think she’s friends with me only out of pity. We’ve been friends for about 7 years now, but the only reason she talked to me was because we had to do a project together. That’s when she found out I lived alone, and she got curious as to why because I wouldn’t tell her. So then she looked through some public records, and found out my parents had been killed. But it doesn’t say how they were killed. Only I know that. My parents were killed by vampires. I heard them cry and beg not to be killed, but they still died. I knew then that I have to kill all of the vampires so that no one will ever have to go through what I went through. Even so, I think of her as my only true friend, and that is why I can never tell her I hunt vampires. I’m afraid that she will follow me when I go to the other side of town, and get hurt if a vampire sees her. I have to protect her and this stupid town we live in.

    I live away from everyone, and the woods are right behind my house, so I don’t have to worry about anyone seeing me when I leave at night. Only Blake knows I go to the other side, because I was really tired that day from hunting for so long, and it just kind of slipped out. I know my way through the woods pretty well so I don’t have to carry a flashlight with me. I only take my sword and a couple of daggers, just in case. I never use a gun though because then the other vamps will hear when it goes off and will come running towards the spot where they heard it from.  

When I go hunting, I wear a black metal choker around my neck so that way I can’t be turned into a vampire, and the rest of my outfit in completely black so I won’t stand out from the darkness of the night. On the other side of the woods there are broken down and rotting houses. There is also a brick road that looks like it came from a horror story in between all the houses. It has mice and crows that have been drained of blood. Sometimes it looks like there’s been a big fight between the vampires, which usually happens when they haven’t had any blood to drink for a couple of days. Also, it is always raining over there.

The vampires are a light blue, and they have blood red eyes. They are tall and extremely strong. Vampires also have straight  black hair that goes down to their shoulders. They have rows of sharp teeth, not just two like in the movies. Vampires also don’t sparkle and are not extremely handsome (thank goodness). They can not hypnotize people, but they can shapeshift into any animal they want to.