Chapter 5

Kuramochi stood on first base, eyes on the dugout as he watched Miyuki holding an excited Eijun out in front of him.

"Papa ran like whoosh!" the little boy cried out.

"Oi! Tell your kid to shut up!" Isashiki shouted.

The shortstop looked on at the comical scene with exasperation, his eyes narrowing as he sent a silent message to Miyuki to keep the toddler under control. The catcher seemed overwhelmed and just as exasperated with the situation as he tried to quell the rambunctious child. Kazuya looked as though he had never dealt with a kid before and Youichi rolled his eyes. This is the idiot I trust with my kid. He forced himself to tear his attention away from his son and teammates, instead of focusing on Ryousuke who was in the batter's box.

Kuramochi crouched down, leading off of the base as he kept his eyes on the pitcher, looking out for any movement in his direction. He analyzed the opponent's stance carefully, waiting for just the right moment... Too late for a legal pick off. At that moment, the short-stop sped off, his strong legs carrying him to second base as he slid into the plate, the catcher stopping short before he threw the ball. The player scowled at the brunette, who cackled in response, watching from second base as Ryousuke grinned from the batter's box.

The catcher returned the ball to the pitcher who took a deep breath before he wound up again. The pink haired man held his bat behind him, his foot planting firmly as he rotated his hips, the bat swinging downward as the pitch approached. There was a loud crack as the ball flew into a gap between the shortstop and second baseman. It was a low flying ball that landed beyond the center fielder. Kuramochi took off as fast as he could, rounding third base right as the outfield picked up the ball into his hand Oh yeah. He could make it. He sprinted down the home baseline, preparing himself to slide into home as he knew it would be close. The catcher was standing in front of the home, glove ready to catch the ball that would hopefully get their opponent out. Kuramochi slipped his leg underneath himself, one leg outstretched as he slid toward home plate. In the same instant, the catcher reached out, catching the ball as he pivoted to cover the base. As the dust settled, the umpire leaned forward and stretched his arms out.

"Safe!" the umpire shouted.

"Kyahaha!" Kuramochi stood up from the base, sending a grin to Ryousuke who had taken the distraction at home to get to second. The second baseman nodded toward his fielding partner in silent praise.

The young father took off his helmet as he jogged back to the dugout, handing it off to someone else as he approached Miyuki. The catcher was holding the toddler out in front up him under his arms, allowing the boy to dangle in the air. Eijun kicked his legs, making grabby hands at his father as he smiled happily.

"Daddy got a point!" Kuramochi picked his son up from the catcher, who seemed happy to be relieved of duty from the child. The little boy reached his arms around Kuramochi's neck. "Yay daddy!"

"That's right, bud. We're winning. This is the final inning," Kuramochi informed him as he held the child tightly.

"Miyuki Kazuya told me!" Eijun yelled as he pointed at the catcher.

"Shh, Eijun, you have to be quiet or you won't be allowed in the dugout anymore." It was an obvious lie as there was nothing else he could do with the child but the three-year-old wouldn't know the difference. The child gasped and pressed his lips together, looking fearfully up at his dad.

"Sorry, papa.," he said quietly.

Kuramochi's expression softened as he kissed the top of his son's head. "It's okay, Ei-chan. Just be a little quieter."

The child nodded and looked in the direction of Kawakami who was watching the scene silently. The relief pitcher smiled at the toddler who reached outward in response. "Papa, can I play with Nori-san?"