Chapter Four

The sun's rays awoke me. Dawn light was spilling into the room, bathing my face. I blinked, trying to move my eyes away from the brightness. I looked down, noticing Gabriel's still-sleeping frame. In my sleep, my hand had ended up resting against him, my fingers draped against his neck. Slowly, I pulled my hand away, fingers dragging lightly. He stirred, but did not wake.

        I stole this moment, watching him. My eyes moved around his face; from his dark, moody brows to his thick lashes, his straight nose, his lips pursed tightly. He really was beautiful. I wondered, for a moment, if vampires dream. What would he dream about?

        The door swung open suddenly, and I turned towards the sound. It was the tall, scary old man from before. Nicholas. Behind him rushed in a whole staff of people. They immediately scattered to every corner of the room. I pulled the sheets up over me tightly. Gabriel was awake quickly, pushing himself up out of the bed.

"I'm sorry to disturb you so early, Your Majesty. But as you may remember, the Duke of Burgundy has come to visit the palace and is expecting your presence." Nicholas informed, his voice as cold as ever. He peered over at me under his piercing, hooded eyes.

        I felt very exposed, surrounded by all these strangers. Two women rushed to Gabriel's side, bringing him to the bathroom. I could hear them speaking in a low tone about the blood everywhere. Suddenly, I was alone in a large bed, surrounded by bustling servants. I slipped away, tiptoeing to my door, closing it quietly behind me. I slid down against the door, and sighed.

        I could still feel the look that Nicholas gave me. It was as if my very presence was a nuisance. I felt so incredibly out of place. And yet, I was forced to be here. I dragged myself to my bed, and tucked myself under the blankets. I didn't get much time alone. It was only a few minutes before Claire came through the door.

"Miss Cora, I have great news! The prince requests your presence this evening! You will meet the king! And his brother, too! How lucky you are!"

        My stomach dropped. From what I've heard about him, the king was not a person I would want to meet. I felt incredibly jumpy all morning. I sat at the mirror while Claire fixed my hair. I stared down at my half eaten food, wondering if I'd ever develop an appetite again.

"Claire?"

"Yes?" she sang, excited just to hear me talking.

"What is the king like?"

She paused. "Well, I haven't spent much time with the king. He's a stern man, but very good at his job!"

I pulled the brush out of her hand, turning around. "Why do you do that?"

Her face scrunched up. "Do what?"

I sighed. "Why do you talk about this place like it's Disneyland?"

She appeared even more confused. "What's Disneyland?"

"What I meant was, why do you act so contented with this place? And these people?"

"I am very blessed to call the palace my home, Miss." her tone was very serious.

"They kidnap people," I chided, bringing my hands to my chest. "Like me. And make them slaves."

Claire snatched the brush from my hand, pursing her lips. Her cheeks were flush, and a lock of her brown hair had fallen down. She turned me around, brushing my hair a bit harder than before.

"Something you have to understand Miss Cora," she chirped, her tone restrained, "Is that if you want to survive, you must do your job with a close-lipped smile."