Part 2

Vijay Shankar took a wicket the very next ball in what should have been Bhuvi's over.

I love it when Bhuvi gives us the first breakthroughs. But never mind, he'll do that again in the next match.

Halfway through the match, Kuldeep had dismissed both the set batsmen and we were cruising along when a drinks break came.

Shami came down with the drinks. As I loped towards him from the circle, I saw him tell Virat something with a serious expression on his face.

By the time I reached the huddle, everyone was looking grim.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

When nobody replied, I looked at Virat and said, "It's Bhuvi, isn't it?"

"Yes," he said, looking really crestfallen. "Patrick says he's injured his hamstring. He'll have to sit out for 2-3 matches."

My heart sank so swiftly that I didn't even realise how upset I looked.

"It's all right, he'll be back soon," said Rohit, trying to sound cheerful.

I noticed Rohit looking at me with a strange mix of sadness and sympathy. I averted my eyes.

I knew perfectly well how much this World Cup mattered to Bhuvi, just like all the other seniors in the team, who have played continuously together from the 2013 Champion's Trophy.

And I also know, Bhuvi would not let anyone see his misery at the injury and missing matches of this World Cup.

In the 2nd last ball of the next over, I dismissed Hafeez. The wicket just about sealed the match for India, and the team, led by the elated captain, closed in around me and Shankar (the catcher) in delight.

I high fived Virat with such a grim expression on my face that Jaddu commented snidely, "A little bit of happiness would be good, Pandya."

I didn't react.

I couldn't smile.

I just didn't feel like smiling, when poor Bhuvi was trapped inside the dressing room with Patrick fussing over him.

The very next ball, bizarrely, I bowled over Malik, effectively ending all of Pakistan's chances.

This time I smiled a little.

But no wicket celebration seems complete to me without Bhuvi's familiar I'm proud of you smile.

A/N: Did you all notice that Hardik genuinely didn't smile a bit after his first wicket??