Chapter 3: The Lost Droid

Iego,

Outer Rim Territories,

This was it. Ruby's very first mission as Jedi Knight. She had never wanted to be part of this brewing war, and yet, here she was, heading out through the galaxy without her Master to guide her. Since her departure from Coruscant, she was feeling a little bit tight in her heart about going on a mission all by herself. She was an official Knight and by encouragement of the Council, Ruby had to expect more of these lone trips to help win battles for the Republic.

"APPROACHING DESTINATION NOW, MASTER JEDI." The droid pilot reported. She could feel the anxiety coursing through her body as she neared her location, to find a missing Republic droid somewhere

There was so much she had to wonder from this first mission. Was the droid going to be hard to find? Would it be caught by some greedy junk dealer to be opted for selling? Or worse still, was it about to be decommissioned? She was only briefed that the droid was located on the planet Iego, where it was said it hid a hidden beauty from within. Ruby always heard the tales of the Angels; beautiful beings from Iego whose serenity was well regarded. She might have even heard Anakin Skywalker himself reputing about them at one point, though it might have been from what he has heard from outside sources.

Other than that, she was also given the exact place where the droid was last seen. It appeared it was accompanying a Jedi adept on a mission two centuries ago, to oversee negotiations of a small border war on some other system, stopping at a city in Iego for refuelling. Ever since then, the Jedi and his droid had disappeared. The Jedi Council then identified that the adept was killed in an assassination attempt planned by one of the belligerents of the conflict; his body sent back for his burial. The droid, however, was nowhere to be seen afterwards. While most had to assume it was destroyed during the murder, the fact that they did not find any of its remains left much to be discussed. The droid was claimed to have lots of important information about the Republic and the Jedi that should it fall into the wrong hands, it would most certainly be a blow to the both of them. Thus, it was Ruby's mission to find and retrieve the droid to have its data extracted back to Republic hands.

Ruby found it quite strange that the Jedi didn't even bother to look for the droid after finding out what happened to the dead adept. If that droid was so important, then wouldn't they make an effort to locate it, or whatever was left of it? Perhaps it was the typical notion that droids were seen as nothing more than tools or accessories for everyone, even the Jedi. She wanted to think that there was a tight connection or some bond between the Jedi and his droid, but without any specifics into his life, nothing was for certain.

Ruby would sure love to have a droid, not just as a helpful assistant to perform maintenance or technical purposes. She would definitely find a droid which could be something like a pet, or even a friend. Back in the Temple, she used to occasionally help with fixing other Jedi's droids, often seeing their less than joyful expressions when the repairs were done. However, there was one notable exception.

It was always the happiest of appointments when she was brought to help fix the astromech of Anakin Skywalker, who he called Artoo. Every time Ruby would fix the white and blue R2 unit, it... No, he would not just accept the maintenance and just roll off as most other droids were programmed to do. He would roll around and spin his cute dome with little chirps of joy and come up to Ruby as if to say thanks. All of this was confirmed as definite gestures of gratitude when Skywalker himself told her exactly Artoo said to her. It was these fun moments that made her feel warm inside, to understand that somewhere inside of all of that circuitry and electronics, even droids had some degree of sentience and feelings.