Welcome

Night’s POV

“Sooooo….” I trailed off in awkwardness. The Sheriff looked at me, a single eyebrow raised. “How are you gonna be able to convince her?”

“I’m not sure how much Sky has told you about me, but I can be persuasive.” The Sheriff told me before he walked into the Headmistresses office.  The door clicked shut just as I saw the woman, thankfully with her head on, stand up and offer her hand to shake.

“Did Sky tell him everything?” Holt asked me as we sat down outside the office doors. Students passed by as they went to their classes, most not paying us any attention. The ones that did only spared glances before continuing on with there day. I didn’t like the crowd as much, because it was harder for me to get a layout of what my surroundings where. But this was a school, it should be decently safe.

I nodded, bringing myself back to the question Holt had asked. “Yeah, she got up and met with him earlier to explain what she had told to the Headmistress already, came up with some lie about her not telling the headmistress the lie she told the Sheriff because it was too personal and she didn’t fully trust that woman, or something.”

“Hmm.” Holt hummed. I looked at him and tilted my head. “She lies a lot, doesn’t she?”

“Yeah,” I admitted. “Personally, if you ask me, I think it’s because if she tells the truth it leaves her more open and vulnerable. Like a survival thing. But from what I could tell, she’s told more truth to you two then she’s ever had in a long time.” My eyes broke our eye contact when I saw someone walk close to us. Some random student, just looking at their phone, not paying attention. Nothing to worry about.

“That’s good to hear then.” Holt nodded and smiled. I did the same before my eyes darted to someone shouting. They were just greeting a friend.

“Why do you do that?”

I turned back to Holt confused. “Do what?”

“That squirrel thing.” He tried to explain further. “Something happens and you immediately look to it, then go back to what you were doing.”

“Did you just call me a squirrel?” I tilted my head, only finding interest in that first part. Holt rolled his eyes at my priorities and just agreed with me. “Yes, you are a squirrel.”

After a few minutes of chatting for a little while longer, and trying to keep my mind focused on the conversation, the office doors opened. I shot up right onto my feet, fast enough for a head rush to happen. Holt held my arm as I steadied myself.

“So, how was it? What happened?” I asked the sheriff as soon as I could focus again.

He looked over his shoulder and set his hand on my shoulder. “She’d like to speak with you.” I gulped and nodded, biting my lip. Holt moved to fallow me into the office, but the Sheriff held him back. “Not you, son.”

Holt tore himself from his hold quickly, obviously still weary around him. I hadn’t fully noticed it until now when he looked wide-eyed at the Sheriff's hand on his shoulder and jumped away.

“You’ll be okay,” I said to Holt and he nodded.

I went into the office, rubbing my hand and nervously looking around. No one else was in the office but the headmistress. The room didn’t change at all, it still had the same crepe décor that was awesome. There were new papers on her desk though and when I got closer, I saw they were the papers for our transfer. Or enrollment. Whichever one was the correct term?

“Ms. Night.” The Headmistress greeted me standing up from her chair. I stood up straight, suddenly feeling put on the spotlight.

“Uhh, its Night Nightmare, miss.” I sputtered out, stupidly actually, I should’ve said something else. Meh, there’s something about that gaze that looked right through you, it sent shivers down my spine.