Astrophilia

Throughout history, the stars have captured the imaginations of humanity. Space was always an opportunity that was visible but out of reach. Philosophers and scientists studied the stars, moon cycles and the planets. There have always been many questions about space. "Does the future of humanity lie in the stars?". " Is there life beyond the stars?". " Are we the only ones in this infinite universe?". All these questions and a long wait to find out. But there is one question that can be answered right now.

 "What does space sound like?"

Silence. That is the answer. His eyes fluttered open to the spinning array of stars. The absoluteness of silence confirmed his fears. His head span round looking for the sign of the station but his eyes could not focus as his body span round, out of his control. His breath picked up. Hyperventilating.  His head was beginning to blur. The constant momentum dazed him and the seriousness of his situation began to set in. A tidal wave of thoughts overwhelmed his mind. A panic attack. An invasion of his own mind against himself. A man lost, in the endless void of his own head. His breathing increased in frequency. His face screwed up behind his visor. Clenched fists and watering eyes. He cried. What else could he do? 

His radio made static when turned on, his crew was nowhere to be seen and no way to make contact to ground control. A man lost, in the endless void of space. He tried catching his breath, deep breathes in with long inhales out. His eyes closed and he sighed. His mind travelled back to home, to everything that brought him comfort in life. 

He continued with his deep breathing, while his clustered mind focused on the collection of memories he had stored. A deep, drawn-out sigh left him and his eyes slowly opened and he smiled. Before him lay the cosmos. He saw it now, not with fear or dread, but for its beauty. "A situation is only made worse by a negative mind" He whispered. The limitless of space laid there, presented before him. Stars and planets, nebulas and supernovas, life and death. He floated, accepting his fate. His eyes slowly closed. "I want to go home". 

Memories of his childhood, parents and family, partners and pets, friends and music. They all now fluttered through his mind, reminding him of the life he had. "Come home then".