Chapter 5 - Staring at Rosco's

After the night at River's house, I knew I had to spill the tea to my best friend Matthew. It's been a minute since I've talked to him anyway, so I thought I owed him since I never have anything interested happening in my life.

We were sitting at a booth far off in our school's cafeteria. Matthew was eating a salad while I was eating pepperoni pizza with curly fries and cheese sauce.

"So," he said stuffing his mouth full of greens, "You said you had some tea to spill for me?"

"I went over to River's house this weekend," I said giving him a sly smirk.

"What in the hell was you doing at River's house? Does your mama know?"

"Yes Mom knew I was at his house. She came with me anyway."

"Oh so y'all was both tryna find a new man last night, huh?"

"For starters, I said with a full mouth, "My momma don't need no new man and I have no interest in River Banks, mkay?"

YOU'S A DAMN LIE.

I don't appreciate the disrespect.

"Well if you're not interested in him can y'all at least become friends so he can take us somewhere to eat? Cause tbh this salad isn't it."

"You should've got pizza and called it a day, Matt," I said chuckling a little bit.

"And what makes you think River would want to take us off campus? We don't even know him like that."

"Oh I don't, but you do baby cakes," he said laughing to his core.

Honestly, Matthew is most likely gonna be the death of me. I don't know why he thinks it's okay to do the things he does, but hey, that's my best friend.

"So, he continued, "What are you gonna say to our friend tomorrow so we can get some actual food?"

I rolled my eyes before responding. "I'm going to walk up to him with my chin held up high, and tell homeboy that we want to go off campus. Plain and simple."

"Okay, then ask me."

I knew that voice. That cold yet smooth voice that almost made me choke on my cheesy fries.

I looked over and saw River standing there with his arms crossed over his chest. He was wearing a black flannel with a white t-shirt, light washed blue jeans with rips, and all black high top converse.

A whole shnack if you ask me.

"Well since she can't find the words and decency to say hi," Matthew said popping his lips at me, "I'll be the first to do it."

Matthew slid out of the booth and stood in front of River like he was about to propose a business proposition.

"My name is Matthew, and I'm her irreplaceable best friend," he said with a toothy grin.

River looked at him up and down with one eyebrow like he was slightly conflicted with what was going on.

"Nice to meet you, Matthew," he said nodding his head.

"Likewise. So, Imma leave so y'all can have y'all little time, but remember what the motive is, Jon'a."

And with that Matthew sashayed himself out the cafeteria and blew me a kiss before completely disappearing.

Welp, I guess this is where I make a fool of my self.. again.

River slid in the booth beside me and it took me a minute to register that I should probably scoot over.