Staring at the New Neighbor

As I was exiting the school, I saw my mom waiting for me in the car. Ever since my father passed, my mom and I became closer than we were before.

When I was seated in the car, I was greeted with a messy kiss on the forehead causing me to wipe it off.

"Not in public, Mom." I said making her laugh.

"I just thought I would be able to give my baby some affection after her long day at school," she reassured me.

We drove off from the high school, which meant it was time for gossip and news.

"You first," she said while driving home.

"Well, nothing really happened at school today other than this guy who kept having staring contests with me."

She looked at me from the corner of her eye with her eyebrows furrowed. "Don't you think y'all are a little too old to be playing games?"

I whipped my head and gasped towards her with my hand on chest like she just hit me with the biggest insult. "I don't recall fun being forbidden."

"Fun or flirting." she said dragging out 'flirting' in a teasing tone.

To change the topic from what happened at school, I asked her how was her day cause, ya know.. girls like that specific question.

"Well," she began, "I was working with this new temp girl, trying to show her all the ropes and such, and she tried to hit on the big man, Mr. Brooms. So I told her that there was a Mrs. Brooms and she had the audacity to tell me that she could have that rearranged."

"Mama I KNOW she really didn't say that." I said shaking my head.

"She really did, baby," she confirmed before puffing out some air and shaking her head, too. "I just hope Mr. Brooms don't mess up his marriage to try to be with some tramp."

We both looked at each other under-eyed and said, "mhm", in unison making us both laugh.

I love having car rides with my mom.

<^>

Before we get home, we have to drive by all the big, fancy houses before you reach the middle class section-which is where we live. Our neighborhood is connected though, whether you live in a 5 bedroom mansion or a 2 bedroom house.

While driving pass the houses, we noticed a U-Haul in someone's yard with workers moving in a lot of stuff. A lady was sitting in a chair, on the porch, drinking lemonade and complimenting the guys on what a "fine job they were doing".

"Looks like we have new neighbors," Mom said giving the lady a wave as we drove by. "You know what that means."

"Oh come on, Mom," I pouted like a baby. "Do we really have to do this every time we get a new neighbor? Let someone get a head start!"

"As soon as we get home I want those hands washed and ready to make some goodies for them. Okay?"

I looked at her with pleading eyes hoping she'd change her mind, but she didn't budge. "Fine."

<^>

As we got home I did exactly as instructed in the car. When it was time to cook, I put on my father's old grilling apron. When I ran downstairs and met her at the kitchen counter, she looked at me and smiled.

"Well," she said with a relaxed smile, "let's get started."

I turned on Pandora and played the Sam Cooke Radio. My mom wasn't too fond about today's music and she said if she ever caught me singing that she'd beat me like I stole something.