Chapter- 3

After everyone finished their lunch Amy returned to the playing room. Every day at this time she comes here and reads a random book or move around a few toys or, just look outside. Dad mostly comes home in the evening and Mom, Joseph and Jon take a nap before afternoon. So, the time after lunch, before the afternoon is Amy's time. She can do whatever she wants. 
She picked up a book, which they would throw away, and say on a chair near the window. She opened the slender book and started reading. Most of the times she can concentrate fully while reading, but today was different. She saw something last night. What, she does not know. She's not even sure if it was a nightmare. She tried to remember clearly. 
It was after everyone slept. For some reason, she woke up in the middle of the night. Slowly rubbing her eyes she looked around. Joseph and Jon were sleeping. The room was slightly illuminated by the yard light slightly coming through blinds. Suddenly, she saw a dark figure near Joseph's bed. It looked like a man, tall and thin. But it was not standing on two feet. Rather, it crawled using both its hands and legs. It kept crawling the whole room making no noises. Amy could not move. She wanted to scream but fear overtook her. But she did not close her eyes. She held her blanket tight and tried to look at the man's face. But she could not. The slight light was not enough to see the face. Maybe it didn't have a face, she now wonders.
The thing kept on walking. As if it's trying to call out to someone. But, it did not make a sound. Amy tried to look at Jon and Joseph. With the corner of her eyes. They didn't seem awake. The man crawled in the room for almost an hour and Amy was looking at it all along. After an hour, it vanished. But she was too scared to sleep after that. She stared at the door all night to see if it comes back. But it did not. After a long while, she can't remember when she fell asleep.
Thinking about it now it feels like a nightmare. She had similar nightmares like this. But none of it felt this real. It was real. Can it come back tonight? She wondered. The thought of telling it to Joseph or Mom came to her mind but, no one with even a slightly working brain would believe that. So she decided not to tell and try to figure things out herself. They'll leave the house in the day after tomorrow anyway. 
She put down the book on her lap as she looked out the window. The lawn isn't that large but it is enough to play, the grass is cut short and green. She can see the road from here. There are not many houses around this side of the area but it is not completely disconnected either. Amy looked at the sky at it seemed cloudy. She loved the view from here. While admiring the scene she heard a knocking sound, coming from the door behind her. The sports room. Her heart started beating faster. She did not move as the knocking got louder. Three knocks and it stopped, and that's her queue. She placed the book where it was before and almost ran out of the room closing the door behind her. Nothing happened. "I'm just imagining things." She told herself whispering. Then opened the door again and entered the room. Looking around she sat on the chair carefully and went back to sightseeing.
For the entire noon, she was there, she heard no noises. But the certain mystery from last night and today left her confused. She wondered if she's going crazy. Dad once told her, her uncle Peter went crazy one night and stabbed himself in his eyes .It was before Joseph was born. He says he kept on laughing and yelling. The story made her scared. Her father didn't like telling the story either. It was his brother after all.