Two -> Seatbelts

The bus jostled and I leap lightly in my seat. Looking out the window once more, I saw the pale moon, that hung like an ornament in the night sky. Streetlights whizzed by, still misty in the heavy snowfall. I sighed, tired and bored out of my mind. I felt my nose itch with a coming sneeze.

"Robyn?" Harlen said quietly, twiddling his thumbs in his lap.

"Y-Yes--" I said, curtly cut off with a small sneeze. I brought my arm to my face instead of sneezing into my scarf, which I would have regretted if I did. Harlen laughed. I shot him a wicked glare then laughed with him. My heart felt light.

"Well," He heaved with a short chuckle. "I was just gonna tell you how nice it is to be with you today. I love how comfortable we've become throughout the years and whatnot. I do believe this is the origin of my strong feelings toward you, Robbie. You already know how I feel, and I don't really want to give you the wrong idea, or make as if I'm rushing you... but I want to know. I want to know how you feel. It's hard to just decide, and I get that. I get it completely, so I'm simply reminding you, okay?" And he nodded as a conclusion to his suddenness. 

I nodded sheepishly and looked away. I honestly wish he had not said that, because he was in fact rushing me. I had until the next day, and I knew that. I even had the date marked on my calendar. I squeezed my eyes shut. How could I tell him I couldn't decide? How could I possibly bring myself to say that even after those several months, I truly felt safer in the midst of our progressing friendship? How could I begin to explain that I loved him just as much as he loved me, but because we had been friends for so long, I couldn't bring myself to end it?

Of course, we would be, theoretically, infinitely closer to each other on terms of relationship and it would basically be the same thing except we would exploring new boundaries--... Actually, it is best not to think of that. Before I could gather all my thoughts, I felt warmth settle atop my hand.

I peered over to see Harlen's hand on top of my hand, his fingers splayed like a pale starfish. I looked to his face and was greeted with his warm smile like a cat who got the cream, his teeth whiter than the snow outside... It was like I was in a trance. I fought a silly grin. Harlen's clasp around my hand tightened slowly, and it was oh-so warm and pleasant. His fingers locked in with the gaps in my hand. I felt something flicker and buzz in my gut. He obviously knew what he was doing, as if he had done it some time before--

Much to his chagrin, I quickly retrieved my hand.

Harlen winced.

He had done something like this to my old best friend, Daniella, shortly after he confessed his love for me.

~~~

A/N - Next part will be longer! (: