Chapter 4

Tom's POV

- - - - - - - - -

I flinched massively as 'Nightingale' nudged me just as y/n left and the sudden contact scared me. I had never been anywhere near this close to a horse and they were quite frightening. I jogged out after y/n and once I caught up with her I just trailed behind her. I felt a little awkward around her.

Once we entered inside the kitchen Makayla spoke up, "Y/n I finished my test!"

"Wow. Well done. Give me a look and I'll mark it." Y/n smiled kindly. I watched her as she looked over the piece of paper. The twinkle in her eyes when she looked over the paper. I saw the small smile that never seemed to leave her lips. I hadn't really realised it but I had been staring at her and the world seemed to faze as I just watched her.

"Don't even think about it." I was suddenly brought back to reality as Makayla whispered to me.

"W-What?" I asked her confused.

"Don't even think about it." She repeated. Once she saw my confused expression she huffed dramatically, "I can tell you fancy y/n. I'm not blind. You were just staring at her like a deer in head lights. No... more like you were looking at some kind of angel from heaven." she giggled as she teased.

"What?" I whispered shouted, "I do not fancy her at all!" I protested.

"Ah ha... suuuuure you don't." She poked her tongue out, "You definitely didn't just look like you were swooning over her at all." She gave me a knowing look and my face flustered as her brother spoke.

"Even I can see it. And I am doing still doing my test. By the way." He looked me dead in the eyes, "Don't. Try. Anything." Y/n looked up from the paper and spoke her kind voice.

"Umm is everything ok Tom?" She asked me once she saw my expression and I got more flustered.

"H-huh? Oh uh y-yeah." I stuttered and I saw Makayla smirk. Y/n walked over to her and gave her back her test with a glowing smile and my heart melted.

"Well done. You only got two wrong!" She high fived her.

"Yay!" She chimed.

"How are you going with yours Jack?" She turned to Jack who was still eyeing me suspiciously but turned innocent to y/n.

"Uh... I'm almost done but I'm a little stuck on this one last question." He scrunched his face in concentration.

"Would you like some help with it? It was a rather hard one." She offered kindly and I could only watch her as she helped him.

"Ok! Done. I hate long division." He muttered.

"Well lucky you, we are doing fractions next." Y/n laughed. Her laugh echoed in my head.

"What!?" He groaned, "Noooooooo." Kay spoke up.

"Can I do fractions!?" She begged.

"Not until you finish subtraction and multiplication. Division is a lot harder than subtraction." Y/n teased a little.

"Oh.... so can I start doing multiplication now then?" Makayla asked.

"Not today. But tomorrow you can start." Y/n smiled again. I loved how her smiles were never fake. She smiled all the time and they were all so real.

"You're weird." Jack rolled his eyes at Makayla.

"You're the weird one! You read too many books!" Makayla argued.

"Anyway, I'll go and get your sheets now for your bed." She turned to me. I just nodded, unable to speak and followed her to a cupboard. I felt a little bad from before with the whole sheet conversation. Y/n closed the door and jumped suddenly, making me jump too. I realised how close we were making my face heat up a little.