Chapter 5

I Sat In The Police Station For Almost 4Hours Answering Questions & Filling Out A Statement & Restraining Order Form For My Day. They Told Me That I Will Have Cops Outside My School Tomorrow In Case He Showed Up. A Couple Of Cops Will Go With Me To My House When I Get The Rest Of My Things. They Offered Me A Cell For The Night Because They Didn't Want Me To Go Back. The Told Me They Went To My House & My Father Wasn't There. They Told Me The Go The House Again To Arrest Him Tomorrow. Joey Told Them Him & His Parents Will Take Care Of Me.

An Hour Later & I Was In Front Of This Castle. I Couldn't Believe Hun & His Family Lived Here. I Got Out & He Carried My Bags Inside. I Walked In & Was Scared To Touch Anything. He Called His Mom Downstairs She Looked Worried.

"Who Is She?"

"Im Victoria Or Vicky"

"She Ran Away From Home So I Saved Her "

"Whats Going On? Why Was Running?"

"My Dad Hits & Rapes Me" I Couldn't Look Her In The Eye. I Wanted To Cry All Over Again. She Hugged Me & Wouldn't Let Go. Joey Made Her Let Go So I Can Breath. She Took Me To A Room It Was Huge. She Sat Down & Told Me Sit Next To Her So I Did.

"How Long Has This Been Happening"

"Since I Was 10 & My Brother Died While We Were Outside & We Had A Drive By He Covered Me So I Wouldn't Get Hurt" I Could Feel The Tears Fall I Missed My Older Brother Marcus We Were So Close. She Held Me Tight.

"My Dad Says If Marcus Didn't Protect Me I Would Alive He Was Only 17. Brandy Died Saving Me Too. Its Gotten Worst Sine Then I Have More Marks Than I Can Count. I Went To The Hospital Once He Beat Me So Bad I Broke A Rib & A Wrist. Its Something Wrong With Me. Its All My Fault I Bring This On My Self He Says. I Believe Him Its True."

"Don't Believe His Lies Sweetie & Im Sorry For Your Lost But Time Will Heal You Wounds & New Beings Will Help."

I Stayed In Her Arms Until I Slowly Fell Asleep. I Couldn't Sleep I Woke Up At Least 4 Times Screaming. I Kept Dreaming That My Dad Found Me & I Tried To Run But I Was Chained Down & He Was Above Me Before He Could Touch Me I Woke Up. Joey Came In Each Time & Held Me & Rubbed My Back Until I Went Back To Sleep.

I Woke Up For School The Next Day & Took A Shower. When I Came Out I Saw Joey Mom Mrs. Ortiz . She Had A Shiny Box With Her. It Looked Like The One Brandy Had. She Sat On The Bed & Opened It Up. There Was So Much Make Up.

"Now Lets Cover Up Those Marks & Buries"

"It'll Never Go Away"

"Think Of Them This Way It Shows Where You Been Not Where Your Going. The Make Up Is To Help You Ignore Them."

"Im Still The Ugly Duck With Or Without The Marks" I Began To Pick Out My Clothes As She Sighed. She Took Away The Clothes I Was Going To Wear.

"Your To Pretty To Hide Your Self In Hoodies & Sweats. I Think My Daughter Has A Few Clothes You'll Fit"

"Im Fine In My Clothes Really."

"No One Is Allowed To Leave This House In Sweats & Hoodies Unless Its Cute. And Yours Are Black & Dual."

She Left Me There To Go Get The Clothes. I Put My Sweats On Anyway & Put My Hoodie On. I Grabbed My Bags & I Went Downstairs & Try To Leave When Their Alarm Went Off. Joey & His Mom Ran Downstairs & Stared At Me.

"Where Are You Going?" He Said Coming Down Stairs

"To School Where Else"

"Then Why Do You Have Your Bags"

"Because Im Leaving I Only Stayed For The Night"

"Your Staying Until My Dad Gets Back Tonight" He Took My Bags Back Upstairs. I Just Followed Him & His Mom Followed Us. She Gave Me The Clothes & Left.

"That Would Look Nice On You Red Is Your Color."

"Im Not Wearing It. Sweats & Hoodies Are My Thing. Showing Skin Is Not."

"Please Put It On For Her It'll Make Her Happy To Have Another Daughter To Take Care Of"

I Sighed & Put It On After He Left. I Looked In The Mirror & Felt Ugly. But I Felt Like Brandy Was In The Room With Me Telling Me Its About Time I Changed My Look. I Smiled A Little At The Thought Then Walked Down Stairs. Joey Was Eating Breakfast Talking To His Mom So I Sat Next To Him. He Smiled At Me & Stared A Little. I Looked Down Playing With My Hair. His Mom Made Me Eat Breakfast Even Though I Said I Wasn't Hungry. When We Got To School I Could Feel All Eyes On Us. I Hid Behind Joey & Walked To My Locker. I Could Hear Dawn Whispering. She Walked Over To Me.

"You Think New Clothes Will Change Our Minds Freak"

"Leave Her Alone Dawn"

"Joey She Nothing But Trash She Already Got Her Brother & Sister Killed Your Next."

"Her Brother Died In A Drive By Her Was Shot After Some Guys Were Messing With Her So Shut Up & Don't Blame Her For Other People."

"Just Wait & See As You Take Your Last Breath"

She Walked Away With Her Crew. I Just Put My Head Down & Left The Building. She Was Right They Both Died For Me. It Was Unfair For Me To Be Alive. I Went To The Football Field & Sat On The Top Bleacher. I Just Wanted To Die. I Crying The Tears Stain My Books. It Started Raining I Didn't Move An Inch. I Could Hear Joey Yelling My Name I Just Kept Crying. He Came & Sat Next To Me. He Just Held Me. We Sat There In The Rain For At Least 30Minutes Before It Stopped. He Stood Up & Held Out His Hand.

"Lets Get Warmed Up We Can Just Go To My House Ok"

"Mhmm" I Nodded & Slowly Got Up.We Walked To His Car & Was On Our Way To His House. He Had The Heat On Blast. I Sat Then Wondering Why Did People That Save Me Die. I Couldn't Watch Another Die For Me. I Opened The Door & Rolled Out Of The Car. He Slammed On The Brakes & I Ran Into Someone Backyard & Just Kept Running. He Was Screaming My Name But I Wouldn't Turn Back. He Wasn't Going To Be Another One To Die For Me. I Ran To The River & Just Sat At The Dock. I Was Better Off This Way. No One Would Die. Laid There All Night Just Thinking.