Locked In

Ebola has taken the world. Everyone has put life on hold, and is attempting to dodge the punch Ebola threatens to throw. My family is living off rice, and beans. Meat has been contaminated. People have been contaminated. Except the very handful that took this disease serious. My name, is, Grant, I don't trust many people, only my family, and so called friends until they get eaten up by the disease. My house is in the countryside, gazing out at the miserable empty, lifeless city. Everyone either dead, or fled. School? Ended about half a year ago when a kid died in class, he didn't know he had Ebola slowly eating him. I'm not necessarily prepared... I'm a nerdy kid, scared of the broom in the closet. Last thing I need is some disease threatening man kind. Canada is in a state of emergency along with all the other countries, trying to keep at least some people govern. I have ten rules to survive in such depression, number one, always be scared, a simple cough could be Ebola in it's deadly disguise. Number two, don't think of colour, flowers, animals, forest, sky's are all dark, countries burning down areas of Ebola contamination. Countries being bombed to finish Ebola. Luckily Russia, USA, and Canada have not let their guard down. Number three, happiness is of the past, survival is all that lives in my brain. Number four, stay entertained, boredom is normal when the outdoors is off limits, this is also why I'm writing this book, to finally find a cure for boredom. Number five, self defence is key, in a time of emergency crime rates were higher than the Empire State Building. Number six, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, don't make your life harder than it needs to be. Number seven, don't help anyone other than family. Number eight, don't touch or play with any animal other than my dog, Scratch. Number nine, believe there will be a cure. Number ten, survive. I got up from my desk and walked over to the kitchen rubbing my stomach trying to hint to my mom that I was starving, she nodded and put some water and rice on the stove. I sat down on the couch staring out the front window at the desolate city. I heard the timer go in the kitchen, rice was ready. I walked into the kitchen, grabbed a bowl and dished up some rice. I thanked mom, although she gave me a look of "oh, it wasn't just for you were all hungry!" I sat at the table, Scratch was hungry so I scooped some rice into his dish and patted his head, I felt kinda bad that he couldn't go outside. I was kinda a hog eating my food, although I did skip breakfast. Why did I? My morning was to busy deciding what I would do if I was the last one on earth, only to give myself a head ache. I should probably introduce you to my family, my mom is very cheerful and full of hope, my dad thinks we're doomed, my older sister Mack just texts and texts, my younger brother Matt, well he plays with toy soldiers. I heard a knock at the door, my mom looked through the window, it was a soldier delivering our monthly supply of food. We know soldiers who deliver food are Ebola free, their tested daily. My mom opened it, and with a small tear in her eye like always, she gave the soldier a small hug and said thanks. I just gave him a "peace" sign with my fingers. The soldier wasn't just any soldier he was my best friend who joined the forces once he heard Ebola was overtaking our world and that humanity was losing. I turned on the television, much to my surprise CNN wasn't on telling us how much time we have left. It was some show about how birds bring happiness, and a sense of freedom. Also, he learn't birds would be migrating back soon. I always loved birds, such cool creatures, such free animals.... The only thing good that came out of this disaster is the fact that there are no commercials, that way if there is an alert the commercials won't be in the way. I got up and went to my bedroom, got my phone, and called my friend, the one who is the soldier. "Hello" I said hoping it wasn't his little annoying sister who picked up. All I heard was silence. I hung up and figured he was busy and he accidentally pressed the answer button.