The Deepest Secret

Doubleday Offices

August 1981

A month after celebrating her 52nd birthday, Jackie continued with her editing work at Doubleday. Today she would be meeting with a new author who's work she'd be editing. While in her office, sipping her coffee there came a knock at the door. Jackie looked up. One of the fellow editors came in. "Mrs Onassis, Mr Edward Klein is here to see you". 

Mr Edward Klein, entered the room. A slightly bald man with dark eyebrows stood before Jackie. She rose from her seat and held out her hand.

"Edward".

Jackie welcomed him with a warm before they sat down. "So Edward, I understand I shall be editing your new work" Jackie looked through her work. "The Parachutists I believe it is called" Jackie continued to smile. Edward nodded. 

"Yes that is right. It's a kind of espionage thriller-" Edward tried to explain it's genre but Jackie interrupted by explaining how she was already 100 pages into it and couldn't put it down. Edward was pleased to hear her enthusiasm for his work. After about five minutes worth of conversation, a dark silence fell upon them. 

"Mrs Onassis-" Edward started. He was interrupted. "Please call me Jackie" Jackie corrected him. He apologised before continuing. "Mrs Onassis, what was it like in the motorcade that day?". Edward asked. 

Jackie's face turned pale. "Why are you asking me such a question?" Jackie had a serious tone in her voice, unlike the soft friendly sound it had only a matter of minutes before. Edward hadn't realised he had entered danger zone. Jackie wouldn't allow anyone through the door in her heart that led to her wonderful but tragic past. 

"I just wish to know. I am curious" Edward tried to make himself sound less curious than he actually was. Jackie sighed. "Be careful what you wish for". Jackie assured him. 

Jackie tried to talk about the book but Edward continued asking her about the past. 

"How was it being First Lady?" 

"What was it like being Jackie O?"

"Did you ever cope with the paparazzi?"

Some of the many questions he actually asked. Jackie soon had enough. "Edward" Jackie went to thump her hands off the desk but instead calmed herself down and placed them gently down. "Edward, I try not to talk about the past. It only upsets me" Jackie wiped away a small tear she managed to get out of herself. 

Edward looked worried. "Jackie, you know I won't say anything at all" Edward assured her as she took a seat at her desk. "You can tell me about the past. What will I do with it?" Edward scoffed. 

"Maybe sell it to the Press" Jackie suggested. Edward shook his head. "I wouldn't do that" Edward shook his head. "Not to a private person like yourself". 

Jackie stared out the window. And then up to the sky. What she was about to say would be terrible to say but she had to get it to someone. She hadn't told anyone. Not even Caroline and John. The only other person that knew was Ari. But he was dead. He couldn't tell anyone. 

Jackie turned back around to face Edward. "Alright" she sighed. "I'll tell you my biggest secret. My deepest secret. Right from the bottom of my heart" Jackie gave in. Edward promised he wouldn't say a word and Jackie then decided to begin her story. She began to confide Edward with her deepest secret.