Chapter 4

I got on the phone to Mr Onassis and he immediately agreed to let Jack stay. When we took the empty casket back to the White House, about an hour after it was laid in state, I was driven to the airport and Jack was still aboard the plane. I got back aboard, my clothes changed. And we took off for Skorpios. We landed at Athens Airport and Jack was discreetly placed on a helicopter and flown out to the island. 

Knowing the American people would be confused about my mysterious and sudden absence, I kissed him goodbye and promised to telephone him. I flew back to Washington before getting an hours sleep and then getting up to awake the children. 

White House private rooms

"Oh mummy!" Caroline sobbed. Jackie got down on her knees and embraced her sobbing children. "Is it really true?" Caroline sobbed. Jackie knew she would need to tell them. However they were in the middle of the central corridor in the private rooms. "My darlings, can you come with me into my bedroom?". The children nodded before walking hand in hand with their mother indoors. 

"Mummy what happened to daddy?" John sobbed. Jackie bent down in front of the children. They sat in silence on the edge of her bed and she sat on her knees on the floor. "Children, I know you've seen the news that daddy is dead" Jackie tried to keep them calm but she could see the emotion and the tears building up. 

"But, I want you to know that he isn't". Jackie blinked twice, and her children looked at her in disbelief. "And I have evidence to prove it" Jackie assured them. She got to her feet, straightened her dress and went over to the phone at the bedside. She dialled the number for the 'oficina del operador'. 

Mr Onassis could speak fluent Spanish, as could Jackie. So she could understand the buildings he also recalled them in their Spanish names. So, she would be contacting the operator office; la oficina del operador. 

Jackie asked to be put through to the newly constructed villa Ari had built to accomodate Jack. It was known as Hill House. She then heard Jack's voice came on the line. 

"Hello Jack!" Jackie smiled as she said those words. "Hey kid, how are you?" Jack was extremely happy to see his wife. "I'm fine. I'm packing up a few things in the White House. The funeral is all planned" Jackie had a full conversation with her husband. Until her eye looked at their children. Jaws dropped, they couldn't believe their father was at the other end. 

When Jack asked they be put on, the first thing they both whispered in shock but in happiness was: "It's really you".