Prologue

I want to tell you a story of a girl and a boy. They were in love, but they lost it all. Well, she did. He went on to become the high school heartbreaker. And she, well she had nothing. She had given up everything to be with him. Her friends, her family, everything that had meant anything to her. She hadn’t realised it at the time. At that time she had loved him and that’s all that mattered to her. But incidents happen and this world’s not perfect, and she was the one still hanging on.

I could go on to explain that at first she hates herself. Such intensified hate that she could just imagine this glowing fire inside of her. Did she hate him, the one that had broken her? No. She still loved him, the same as before. She didn’t blame him, although she wished she could. She blamed herself. She blamed herself for not being perfect, as she thought he deserved. She blamed herself, not for letting him go, but making him go. She blamed herself for being so weak. But mostly, she blamed herself for losing the best of herself to him.

The next stage was worse for her though. There was nothing, there was silence. It feels as if one might have become deaf, just that deafening silence; that numbing silence. That’s what she felt and she didn’t like it one bit. The feeling of frost on the tip of your nose, having no feeling. Sitting in the frost, feeling yourself being lost to the cold. That’s what it was like for her; this is what changed her.

“Does she still love him?” you might ask. Well, no, she doesn’t. She loved the way he was, not the way he is today. Forgive and forget? No, she hasn’t forgotten the pain he caused her, nor does she plan to forgive him anytime soon.

You might have guessed this isn’t just any story; this is mine. I was that girl with those dulled blues eyes that were once so bright. But don’t worry, I now hold a smirk on my face and a glint in my eye.

Because I’m the only one who knows the events of the times to come.

This is the story of me.

Briana Roberts.