chapter three (elliott)

"Hey, I'm Elliott." I reach my hand out for his. And, Wow. It's like electric sparks erupt where his hand is. God. What is happening to me? I smile at him hoping to get away from the gross tension between us.

"I have to go to the bathroom," I say. I don't actually have to go to the bathroom but holy crap I need to think. Max doesn't skip a beat and quickly shows me the bathroom. I close the door behind me and take a deep breath. I sit down on the floor. Because, well, me. All I have ever known is girls. Girls on the swim team, done. Girls from school, done. Girls from summer camps and parties that I definitely don't go to, done and done.

EW.

No by done I don't mean having sex. I am a virgin, just to get that out of the way now. Get your mind out of the gutter. I mean I tried to make a connection with them and it just failed. And yes I have considered that trying to make a deep and meaningful connection at a party full of drunken people is probably not the best plan.

I thought I had something real this year though. She made me feel special and loved like I was the most important person in the world. And then it ended. Just like that. My heart had been broken. She had thrown every insult she could think of and it really hit home. Like my height and my nationality and that weird thing that I do with my hair when I'm nervous. She made feel like everything and then she took it all away. So much for soul mates and love at first sight. Maddie. That was her name. The name I would whisper to try and make myself feel better.

Now it just leaves an emptiness.

But Max seemed different. Maybe it was because he was... oh, I don't know. A guy! But the way he smiled that crooked grin made want to get to know him even if we were just friends, even if I had no idea if he was gay or not. I needed someone in my life that I could depend on. Even if I met him like two seconds ago. I will play my game and pretend like I hate the world and slowly but surely maybe I will open up to him, unless he is an asshole, because that could be problematic. Like, really problematic.

I really hope he's not an asshole.