Chapter Eight

"Good morning," Q said proudly, smiling broadly.

She stared at him. Wide-eyed. Open-mouthed. "What are you doing here?" she exclaimed in sheer surprise.

"I came to pay you a visit," he said bluntly.

"I never thought you would be the sentimental type," she muttered, but smiling.

"Did I say I was? he remarked.

Then, she realised how long if had been. "You idiot!" she yelled at him.

"You can't call a member of the mighty Q Continuum idiots," he countered angrily.

"I can, and I just did," she snapped.

"Oh, Jean-Luc," Q sighed. "You shouldn't have distracted me. Now I've visited the lovely lady in the wrong time period."

"It's been a year," she informed him. "You don't just pick someone up and then drop them."

He shrugged his shoulders. "When you've finished your ranting, I have something to show you."

"You do?" she asked skeptically.

He clicked his fingers and handed something to her. She took it from him and studied it. She stared at it, taking it in. "Oh, my God."

"Yes, I suppose I am."

She ignored his interjection and continued to study the object; the book. "But, this is my book..."

He nodded. "Yes. It looks as though my advice paid off."

"How did you... How did you do this?"

He sighed and turned the front page of the book. He read the publication date. "2374."

"Erm... Thank you...?" she stuttered, still shaking as she held the book. "This is from the future. And it's my book," he observed.

"I hear its quite a hit," he told her. "One nod Kathy's favourites. Never could get Jean-Luc hooked, though."

Instantaneously, she lurched forward and threw her arms around his neck. "I think I've finished it," she said, as she pulled back. "The book."

"Oh?"

"You ought to check it through," she suggested.

"I think I should," he agreed. "Terrorising the poor old captain can get a little boring. I'll need some inspiration."