Chance Encounter

I looked around the dark hallway, sensing no one. The noble I was hired to take down has been known to camp out in this old house. He should be here. I closed my eyes, listening more intently to my surroundings. A small creak on the other side of the house. That must be him. I held bloody rose close as I began to silently make my way to the opposite side of the home. The smell of mildew mixed with something sweet the closer I got. I know that sweet scent. Why can't I recall where? I neared the room where the scent was most powerful. It must be coming from the noble that's been killing innocent children. I carefully opened the door and pointed bloody rose in the direction of where the scent was coming from. I saw hands go up and a familiar voice spoke. "Calm down, Zero." I felt my eyes involuntarily roll as I put bloody rose down. "What are you doing here, Kaname?" "Looking for Fredirck. He's gone astray and must be punished." "That's my job." I watched as Kaname came closer into the light, and I could see he hadn't aged at all, obviously. "It appears he isn't here." I nodded. "He will be. You can stay I'll go find him." I turned around to leave but stopped as I felt his hand touch my shoulder. It was oddly gentle. I shrugged it off and turned towards him. "What." "He will be here soon." I rolled my eyes. "What makes you so certain?" "I know his routine." "In other word,  you've been letting him kill children?" He shook his head. "Of course not. I've been waiting for a hunter to take him out. As I'm sure you've learned by no,  none have been successful, so I figured I'd get my own hands dirty." "So you're fine with him being out killing children now? And I don't need you here. You can go. I'm not like the other hunters." "No your just more suseptible to turning into a Level E and going crazy." I felt the anger begin to bubble, and it was very hard to keep calm in case he came by. "I haven't had issues in three years asshole. I know what to do now." He looked as though he were about to say something when I heard a child like voice begin speaking. "I don't think my mommy is here." "Oh I promise she is."Okay." The front door closed, and I understood what Kaname meant. He brings his victims here. I pulled out bloody rose and began making my way to the living area. I stopped just out of sight in the hallway, noting Kaname was right behind me. I then peered around the corner and saw a man with long black hair and Beaty eyes staring down at a small and frightened little girl. He bent down and moved her hair but stopped and stood upright, turning in my direction. "There are two strangers here that don't belong." I turned the corner bloody rose hidden. "It's just me." "Whose with you." It wasn't a question but a statement. He wanted me to know he knew I was lying. "You probably just smell the last vampire I killed." He laughed. "You don't look like you could snap a twig." I looked down at the little girl. Normally, I would be much more careful with my way of killing and words when a witness was around, but with Kaname here, I could count on him to erase her memory. At least he will be good for something. I pulled out Bloody and Rose and with no hesitation, pulled the trigger. A loud bang rang through the house along with a scream. Kaname came around the corner and quickly shielded the girl. After a few more moments, we placed her on the stoop and began walking back through the house to leave out back so no one saw. "You could have at least tried to spare the witness from a memory swipe." I shrugged. "You were here. Might as well be useful." The air was crisp as autumn turned the leaves and causing a small shudder from me in return. "Why are you following me?" I stopped walking after half a mile and turned around. I saw the older boy shrug. "Yuki has been wondering about you." I rolled my eyes. "Cross does, too." "I told you guys at graduation to leave me alone for good." "What you say and what I do are different things." I turned around, continuing my walk to my motorcycle. I always park far away so as to not alert anyone. The walk was quiet, and I actually felt a bit awkward. "You said you have your level D under control. How do you manage?" "I just do." "We could help others if you explained." I stopped once again. "I suppose you have a point." "Great. We will discuss it over dinner." I turned around, scowling. "Or we can discuss it now and never speak again." "I will see you tomorrow night at eight. Meet me at the Chateau." I went to say something, but he was gone before I could. Bastard. I grabbed my helmet and thought about it. Why did he pick such a nice restaurant? I could feel something like butterflies in my stomach. Weird. I drove home trying to think of anything but tomorrow evening. I could not show up. That would solve that problem, but then he might try to track me down. If we can bring down the level e population that would be good. The first step to that would be taming the likes of me. I reached my apartment, and once inside, I stripped down before putting on my pajamas and flopping into bed. I closed my eyes, and all I could see was Kaname. Why does he have to look so handsome all of the damn time? Not handsome. I did not just think that. Kaname, you bastard. That's more accurate. I woke up in a daze and looked around me. It was ten in the morning. I let out a groan, pulling myself out of bed and making my way to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror, noting dark circles under my eyes. Five hours of sleep is not enough, I could go back to bed. I used the restroom and brushed my teeth, making my way over to the couch. I want to go back to bed, but for some reason, I feel too anxious. Was there something I needed to do today? My brain whirled, trying to think of today's to-do list when Kaname popped into my mind. I rolled my eyes. There is no way that is what's messing with my sleep. I let out a sigh , lay on the couch, and rested my eyes. It felt as though I had just closed them when I opened them again, seeing that it was now five in the afternoon. That is much more sleep than I usually get, yet it was horrible. I let out a sigh and got up, making my way to the bedroom. I opened my closet and looked at my clothes. I don't even have anything nice enough for that famn restaurant. I closed the doors and headed to the restroom. I took a long hot shower, feeling my muscles relax for a moment before getting out. I then brushed my teeth once more in case my breath was bad again. I then did my hair as normal and went back into my room. I pulled out some boxers, putting them on before grabbing some black skinny jeans. I then looked through my nice shirts one last time and grabbed the only dress shirt I had. It was a lilac button-up. I then grabbed a white tie and shoes before heading out the door. It was only six, but I had to get out of the house. I got in my bike and just drove. I finally pulled up to the restaurant at a quarter to eight. The sun had set, and the restaurant was vibrant. I made my way inside and up to the host stand. "Good evening, sir. Do you have a reservation?" "Yeah. I'm meeting a man named Kaname Kuran." Her eyes lit up, clearly knowing him. "Oh yes. Right this way. He isn't here yet, but your table is ready." I sat down and ordered a red wine while I waited. After about five minutes, I looked to the side. "Hello, Zero." "Kaname."