Chapter 1 | Choi Hyerin

My name is Choi Hyerin. I'm a 22-year-old Librarian at the Seoul Metropolitan Library in Jung-gu, the heart of Seoul. I moved to Seoul a few years ago. I grew up in Ilsan with my parents and my younger brother, Han-Seul. 

I must say I was quite fortunate. I've had a happy childhood; my parents were a role model of what love should be like. However, despite their well-meaning efforts, I was pretty sheltered and felt suffocated at times. 

Somehow, I managed to convince them to let me move out once I turned 19. When I moved on my own to Seoul, I had to acknowledge that I was pretty naive about the outside world. I've always been a good girl, never caused any trouble. My parents were religious and as such, boyfriends were frowned upon and sex before marriage was out of the question.

The reason why I chose to be a librarian is that, besides my love for books, libraries are a quiet, non-threatening environment. Any other job where interaction was constant would have been too much for me. I'm not overly shy; I'm just an introvert. I prefer to spend time alone in order to recharge my batteries. An introvert may appear to be shy to others, but that is not necessarily accurate. Interacting with people and too many sources of stimuli tends to draw out a lot of my energy, causing me to eventually withdraw to spend time alone to re-energize. 

I love hiding in a corner of the library and read my favorite romance novel or erotica and let my mind drift into an alternate universe where I would be this seductress, full of confidence, having men pinning for her. The reality was quite different though.

I was not ugly per se; I'd even say I was alright, but I always hid behind huge glasses, a messy bun and oversized clothing. I was never allowed to wear figure-hugging clothing as it would make the boys stare, as my mom would put it. So it was just a habit by then. When I would go clothes shopping, it would be just by necessity, not to look cute. 

I was living in a small apartment that was the cutest little thing. It was cozy, just for me. I never really had people coming over so I owned very little kitchenware. I did own a TV but Netflix and Viki were enough for me most of the time.  I was a decent cook so I would always have a home-cooked meal, but the occasional takeout didn't hurt.

You might think that I am leading a miserable life, but actually, I was content. I had very little stress, I was healthy and had a roof over my head. What more could I ask for?

Well... 

I've had that other side of me, lurking in the darkness of my soul; this other me that kept showing itself every now and then, especially at night when all is quiet and serene. This other me was insatiable, driven by desires, unabashed. This other me would imagine things I would never dare contemplate.