Chapter 2 | Café Comma

The next day, my mind was all over the place. I had received a reply from THE number. I was suddenly terrified. What did I get myself into? This was really happening, huh? I tried to shake it off as I made my way to work but I was excited/mortified to meet whoever I was supposed to meet at 6 pm. However, I was happy that we would meet in a very public place. But how was I supposed to know who I was meeting? I didn't know their name and they didn't know mine.

Throughout the day, I went through peaks of euphoria and pits of despair thinking about my life decisions. Well, actually no; just the most recent one.

The day went by really quickly and before I knew it, it was already 5 pm. I checked out the last few people wanting to borrow books and closed the library along with my colleague Soohyeon. Soohyeon is a bubbly girl, whose energy is quite exhausting at time, but I love her; she's probably my only genuine friend in this city. She's short like an AA battery, but she packs a whole lot of power. She's not good for my health.

"Let's go to that cat café down the road! " Soohyeon suggests, jumping up and down.

"Ah, not today Soohyeon; I have plans actually", I replied rubbing the back of my neck in embarrassment.

"You. Have. Plans? Choi Hyerin has plans??? Eottoke??", she replies incredulously, eyes getting wider by the second. I was slightly offended by her lack of faith in me.

I sigh and roll my eyes at her. Yes I know, it's unbelievable but for once in my life I had plans. The thing is, I was not even sure what that plan was: going to the agreed-upon location, getting murdered, dismembered and thrown into the Han River, OR..... well... I don't see another alternative to this. This scenario seemed very likely to happen.

"Yes, I know and don't ask", I replied with a tinge of annoyance in my voice.

"Alright, alright Miss Choi" she smirked. "Whatever you do, be careful, ok?" she said with a genuine smile.

Yeah, no joke, I thought.

****

Café Comma