Chapter Two- Trey

"Dude, where the hell did you go?"

I internally groaned, but my head visibly fell forward where I was leaning on the railing of the porch of whoever owned this house. Corey slapped my back and I could already smell the beer rolling off of him in waves. How long had we been here?

"Just needed some air, man," I said deadpanned, lifting my head up to stare out into the blackened woods to up ahead. I took a deep drink of my own beer, finishing it off.

I've known Corey since little league. The second the coaches realized how good of a team we were just the two of use they never picked one over the other. Corey always the pitcher, Trey always the catcher. We've been best friends ever since.

"Dude, cheer up. We won!,"

I rolled my eyes, we've won the last three games and all of our pre seasoned games. The team we played today wasn't known for being the greatest. I really wasn't worried. Corey wasn't either. Well, he wasn't when he was sober.

"Where's Megan?"

Megan, a raven haired spitfire who had bigger balls than most of the boys on our team. Megan was another one I've known since little league. While Corey was always my pitcher, Megan was always my first baseman. When we got into high school, Megan wouldn't back down when it came to being on the baseball team. She refused to play softball. Long story short, Megan got what she wanted and she was once again my first baseman. Megan also made up the third and final member of our strange friend group.

Corey just shrugged, "Last time I saw her she was fighting with a basketball jock on who was the better athlete,"

I scoffed, leave it to Megan.

"You and Haileigh get into another fight again?,"

It was my turn to shrug. Corey knew me well enough that I didn't even really have to say it.

"What about this time?,"

I threw my empty cup into the night and gripped onto the railing with both hands, squeezing as tight as I could "Honestly? I have no idea. We were on the way here and we went from talking normally to a full on screaming match,"

"Man, you two just need to break up. Make everyone's lives so much easier,"

I still kept my mouth shut. I'm not going to say I don't agree with him because as of right now I'm not sure what I'm thinking. Things haven't been good for awhile but neither of us were ready to say it to the other.

"We'll work it out. We always do," I put in after a few minutes of silence.

A vibrations feeling from my pocket broke me away from my conversation with Corey and to my phone.

Don't stay out to late. Earlier gym session.

"Your dad?," Corey asked,

"Yep,"

Corey asked no more. He knew how hard my dad could be on me. Hell, sometimes he was even hard on Corey.

Corey patted me on the back again, "Come on, let's go get you another beer,"

I shook my head, "Nah man, I need to head out. School night,"

Corey scoffed, "Yeah, okay,"

I shook my head and smirked. Corey never did care about things like that. Sometimes I wondered if it had to do with his own father but I was too afraid to ask. I'd seen his dad in action and I honestly didn't blame Corey for how he reacted. Because honestly, I probably would have done the same thing. I threw out a goodbye and started for my car.

On the way there I decided to shoot Haileigh a quick text.

Dad texted. Heading home.

K.

I rolled my eyes, I hated it when she threw her little fits.

Once in the car, I jammed the keys into the ignition and threw the car into drive. I didn't care that my truck groaned out in protest, I just needed to get the hell out of there. And that's exactly what I did.

It didn't take me very long to make it home since it was a small town and all the houses were pretty close to one another this far out.

I tried to be quiet when walking into my house but with the light on in my dad's office I soon gave up. Figures he would still be up.

"Trey, that you?,"

I sighed, here we go, "Yeah,"

"Can you come here a minute?,"

My dad's office was the second biggest room in the house next to my parents. Being one of the top rated lawyers in the county he felt like he needed all the space he could have to build his empire. I had to disagree on that.

Dad, himself, was a baseball catcher in high school and was heading straight for college ball until he tore his ACL and could never catch the same way again. Now, twenty years later, he's pushing his dreams onto his oldest son and soon, would be starting on the twins.

"How did the game go?,"

I had to bite my tongue from making a smart comment, he was there after all.

"It went good,"

"You and Corey need to communicate better. You guys could have gotten that third out in the fifth inning if you would have signaled him right,"

I clenched my jaw shut. Fifth inning was a bitch. Even though we were up by five, coach was still raking into us and we were under a lot of pressure. Second was full and up to base was a kid who could hit, even if the team did overall suck.

Corey was getting tired, he wasn't throwing like he normally does. Every time I gave a signal he would do the opposite of what I was telling him to do. I was getting frustrated, he was getting frustrated. It was a bad one. We finally pulled out of it though and we still ended up winning. Of course, that wasn't what my dad had noticed.

"Guess we'll have to work on it,"

Dad stopped typing and lookup from over his glasses that always seemed to be perched on his nose anymore, "You guess?,"

"We will,"

Dad nodded before going back to whatever he was doing on his computer, "Don't forget, gym. Five am."

How could I forget, he was reminding me every hour apparently. Without saying another word I headed for my room, not having it in me to even say goodnight.

I shed my t-shirt and throw it across the room where it hits the old tall lamp before landing on the floor. My fist clench several times trying to get the built up tension worked out. My neck was tight, and I couldn't shake the need to hit something.

I rolled my neck before just falling straight on the bed, letting out a heaving sigh. I really should have just stayed and drank that beer. Maybe then I wouldn't be so tense right now. Let's get real though, if I came home wasted or even not at all, my dad would be more than just annoyed by the fact I wasn't giving the right signals.

Deep down, though, a part of me honestly didn't care anymore.