Darver the Darkness

Excerpt

Darver the Darkness

There is no way I can do this, I thought, this is completely crazy. Am I really willing to abandon my mother, my father, and my sisters for this? All because this strange man that I just met told me I should.

I stood there at the entrance trying not to shake, trying not to show how afraid and doubtful I was.

"Well then," Calliver said, slapping my bag on my back making me slightly tense up, "Lead on my hound adventurer." He had a smile on his face and a light tone.

I licked my lips and swallowed. You can do this Darver. You can do this. I blew a small shaking breath out of my mouth. I started walking towards the forest. The Erye. As I walked, getting closer to the dauntingly silent forest, I remembered all the tales of those who dared to enter the sacred forest.

There was Darwin the Headstrong. I could now see the cracks in the tall thin trees. There was Alquesta the Arrogant. I now had to crane his neck to see the dark grey and black leaves that stood over me. Gallian the Deranged. I took a step into the forest, cracked a twig, and the sound sliced through the forest.

I forced himself to keep going. Guidin the Cannibal. A ghostly, cold wind wafted over a rotten stench. Kalleir the Puppeteer. In my peripheral vision, I thought I saw a dark big object hurl by. Jann the Loon. Darkness swallowed me. Harrdum the Murderer. My heart was thumping wildly against my chest. Areta the Witch. Calliver was gone. I turned a full circle in search of him, but I found no one.

Gerreta the Traitor. The dead branches of the trees were like gnarled fingers searching for life to prey upon. Nomer the Greedy. A root tripped me, and I fell. Kureen the Childslayer. Something slammed into my back, and I cried out mutely. Hafda the Ghost. My back was torn open, my face was being buried in the black hard ground. Laka the Burner. Things crawled on my back, but I couldn't see. I couldn't move. I couldn't feel. I was dead.

The Darkness consumed me.

Excerpt