22 | happy new year

━ JANUARY, 2023 ━

JANUARY, 2023

ISABELLE

                     "GOD, THIS IS like the worst hangover in the entire history of hangovers" I groan into my pillow, the pounding in my head making me sick to the stomach. A few feet away, the stupid alarm clock on top of the nightstand continues its relentless torment.

                    "I turned on the geyser, take a shower real quick ─ breakfast will be served in a few" I hear Kat's voice, as fresh as the lilies I notice on her desk when I squint to look up.

                    "Wait, you made food? I mean, real food? And you're up before me? Am I still dreaming or did I slip into the Upside Down last night?" I mumble, struggling to put on my grey sweatshirt.

                     Still trying to rub sleep off my eyes, I get to my feet, immediately losing balance, numerous tiny black spots in vision. I recover in a moment or two, holding on to my desk now for support. It was a sign I needed to start taking my iron supplements again. I wasn't even surprised though, the kind of nutrition we were getting was top tier. Sarcasm intended.

                     "Would it be too cringe to say New year, New me?" Kat pouts, buttering a fresh toast. I laugh, popping a grape into my mouth. The acid immediately sends a shiver through my teeth. Et tu, Calcium?

                     "Happy '23, roomie!" Rolling my eyes, I hop into the shower.

                      Dark circles concealed, skin moisturized, stomach filled and body hydrated ─ I catch up to Ryan who's walking way too fast for my liking.

                      It had been a while since we hung out one on one and despite my friend group being an emotionally mature one, Ryan still happened to be that person who could ease me out in times of crisis. He had the uncanny ability to make me feel comfortable, understood and unlike Abby's problem solving personality or Kat's mom-level-advice, Ryan liked to make the situation seem easy. He could de-stress me, just by being there. By listening to me rant.

                     "You look better than I was expecting" He says, linking his arm with mine. To strangers, we seemed like a happy couple (you know, the cliché, annoying mistake people make when they spot opposite gender best friends) ─ to us, we were just Ryan and Izzy.

                    "Me neither, I swear I was convinced I won't be able to make it outside this morning, the headache was killer ─ but lucky the Advil worked" I explain as we make our way to Dunkins'. We were headed to H&M and Trader Joe's for the groceries but first, coffee.

                    "Thank God. I almost thought you wouldn't come. Anyway, saw you leaving with Miller last night" Ryan tilts his head to look at me for a moment and I let out a sharp breath. Miller.