55

I look up at the clock, that has been gathering dust on the wall.

8:27

I stand up from my wooden bench and pick up my book and stuff it into my off the shoulder book bag.

I grab the keys and lock the vintage register. Mr. Clark should really replace this for a newer one.

I walk up to the front and flip the "open" sign to "closed"

As I walk out and lock the door I see the sun setting beautifully.

I take my headphones and pop them in and begin playing Chloe Burbank.

I take my phone and take a picture of the golden rays shining over the entire city. Hues of pink, purple and honey yellow mingle charmingly.

I examine the photo and begin to walk to the station. I walk for about a block and take the steps to go underground.

I wait for my train and I see a man playing guitar with a hat with the concave part face up in front of him.

He sings a light melody that fills the subway station.

With that the train arrives and I get on and pay for my ride. I sit down and keep an eye for my stop. I see a little girl and her mother. She has pigtails and chubby cheeks.

So pure and innocent.

So happy and oblivious.

Her mom is in distress, staring at her daughter with love. The little girl gives her hope. The little girl gives her a will to live.

This makes me remember me and my mother.

It was us against the world.

They smile at eachother and the mother places a kiss on her tiny head.

This makes me realize, joji never talked about his upbringing with me. He's talked about Japan, and what it's like, but never about his mother or his father. I wonder what it was like, did his upbringing affect his mental health today? Is that why he needs to take so many medication? I'm worried about him. Is he okay?

"Mommy! Can we go to the zoo?" The little girl asks her mother and it breaks my train of thought.

"Maybe honey" she says looking down at her child.

"Mhm, daddy took me once." Her mothers face dropped and filled with dread, she then forced a smiled.

"Mhm baby, I remember that."

The train halts at my stop. I get up and walk out leaving the mother and daughter there, on their adventure against the world.

As I'm walking home I keep thinking about George. He bought me a ticket to Australia. I guess he did love me, but would someone who loves you cheat on you? My brain can't help but keep picking at the same subject. It gets frustrating.

I'm reaching my apartment complex and I see George outside smoking a cigarette looking at the sky, catching the very last moments of the sunset.

I wonder if the marvelous colors that paint the sky inspire him to write his music.

I walk near and he sees me. He stands up, fidgeting and shocked, anxiety taking over him.

"Hi George" I look at my feet avoiding contact and walk up the stairs. I have to ask him about Australia. I turn around to ask him and he's already sitting back down taking a drag from his lit cigarette.