Chapter XXXI: Hallucination

He couldn't wait for her to finally snap

And snap, she did...

His laughter came to a sudden stop when he heard the unmistakable sound of rustling behind him.

Chace was sure someone was with him in the room and the fact that whoever they were managed to sneak up on him was exciting him that much more. Probably, Elanese having preceded him to his chambers, looking for some comfort and advice.

Still, he couldn't shake the queasiness building in his chest. Because even now that his ears detected the noise, neither he nor his wolf could pick up on this person's energy.

And so with dread clouding his thoughts, he turned around to face the presence only to still with every muscle in his body stiffening, the little hairs on the back of his neck standing as shivers wrecked through his form.

'Her hair was shorter'... was, oddly enough, the first thought that came to his mind. 

The second thing he took notice of was her pale face and her trembling hands that were hanging idly by her sides. She looked weak and that triggered something deep within him but he ignored it for the sake of taking the rest of her in.

Rain wasn't as ecstatic as he imagined he would be about seeing his mate again. But that was understandable since he couldn't even pick up on her smell.

If he didn't know any better he'd think it was another hallucination of his but it was too unbelievable to be so. Hallucinations are much more accurate and life-like_ they want to fool as_ and there was only one plausible explanation as to why his mate was standing before him at the moment but he could still see through her. She wasn't completely materialized. 

She was projecting her image and presence from somewhere else. Besides something in the ill-omened air told him this was the work of dark magic.

"Ren..."

He was momentarily at a loss of words, just taking in the changes, trying to read the expression on her face. She was smiling so effortlessly as she used to when they were children.

He reached out feeling the need to touch her. As he slowly did so, he felt hyperaware of everything around him, wary even, as if the clock hanging on the wall could suddenly jump between them to take his mate away.

If his knowledge of the technicalities of black magic was right, he should be able to touch and speak to her but if for some reason he couldn't that could only mean that her magic was weak either for inexperience or for a critical situation where she was getting hurt. So when he felt her skin beneath his hand, he finally breathed out a sigh and broke out a smile of his own.

A part of his mind was still trying to work out the reason for the visit, he imagined her to react to his teasing. He did, after all, put her in danger by exposing her magic to the world, even if they'd have no way to directly link it up to her. Even if he'd rip their throats off before they could expose her if they ever did. So he did imagine her lashing out but the visit so far felt more like a present than a punishment confusing his trail of thoughts.