The Heart of Auradon

A/N: This fic was written as a tribute to Cameron Boyce. I hope it helps bring his fans some comfort in a very difficult time. Rest in Peace, Cameron. Thanks for bringing Carlos to life. Your legacy will never be forgotten.

JAY

He woke up to the sound of Dude whimpering. The dog had jumped into his bed and was clearly trying to get his attention. Jay swatted him away, too groggy to be bothered.

"Jay!" Dude finally said. Sometimes, Jay really hated that Mal had accidentally spelled the dog to talk. "Something's wrong."

"Go tell Carlos," Jay mumbled.

"But it is Carlos... Something's wrong with him. I can't wake him up."

Jay was more alert now. "Carlos..." He called. He got out of his bed and walked over to his roommate's. Carlos lay there looking like he was sleeping peacefully, but he was too still. Jay was no stranger to death. He'd seen enough of it on the Isle of the Lost... But he couldn't process what he was seeing. His brain knew Carlos was dead, but his heart refused to accept that.

Jay shook his head. He walked out of the room, refusing to look back even as Dude called after him, "Jay! Where are you going? Help him!"

He kept walking, not sure where he was heading. He ignored the few people who tried to say hello to him. He kept going until he found a secluded storage room no one ever used, and only then did he start hitting the wall. He repeated this over and over, his rage the only thing that made sense to him. His best friend... His brother... He couldn't be dead. It didn't make any sense, but the holes he put into the wall with his fist made perfect sense to him, so he continued to focus on them instead.

FAIRY GODMOTHER
She was going about her busy morning when Dude unexpectedly came running toward her. "Fairy Godmother, help! Something's wrong with Carlos!" Dude said.

Fairy Godmother stared at him in surprise. "I'm sorry... Did you just... speak?" She asked.

"Oh, um... I mean... um... Woof?" Dude replied.

She shook her head. "We can deal with that later. What's wrong, Boy?" She asked.

Dude ran off, so she followed him. He led her straight to Carlos and Jay's dorm room. Since the door was open, she walked inside. Jay was nowhere to be seen, but Carlos was in his bed. She approached him cautiously as Dude whimpered and nudged his hand with his nose.

"Oh, dear me... No... No, no, how can this be?" Fairy Godmother asked aloud. She checked his wrist for a pulse, just in case he was in an enchanted slumber, but there was none. Carlos was gone. Sweet, gentle Carlos, her precious daughter Jane's beloved boyfriend... How was this possible?

Dude whimpered again. Fairy Godmother's heart broke. "I'm so sorry, Dude," she said, gently petting the dog. "Carlos has passed away."

"Passed away?" Dude repeated. He stopped speaking then, simply crying and refusing to leave his beloved friend's side.

Fairy Godmother pulled the covers up to cover his face. She then walked out of the room and closed the door before calling on the school's guards.

"Something tragic has happened," she informed them. "One of our students passed away in his sleep. Guard this room and do not let anyone in without my consent... And if Jay comes back, call me immediately."

"Of course, Fairy Godmother," the head guard promised.

She took a deep breath to compose herself before heading to her office. She turned to her secretary and said, "I need you to bring King Ben to my office immediately. If you see Mal, Evie, Jay, or my daughter, please detain them and let them know I'll need to speak with them shortly. Whatever you do, do not let them go to Carlos and Jay's dorm room."