This is not your home

"This is not your home" Madam greeted, "This is a privillige, one that will be taken away from you if you fail to understand your place."

I couldn't help but widen slightly in awe at interior in the mansion that was in. My curls were already blowing out of my plait due to the wind from an open window nearby. Madam words seemed to dance along with the breeze, all I could think about was how I couldnt wait to tell Mama and Kojo about this place.

"Ada!", upon hearing my name my attention was restored at once.

"Yes Madam" 

"The rest of my family are out but, you shall be introduced at dinner time in a few minutes" My head remained slightly bowed as I wondered when I would be allowed to put my things down and rest for a while.

"You shall follow the rules and regulations of the household of which i hope you've been informed of"  I slowly raised my head and my eyes finally leveled with Madam. "You are permitted to leave."

I almost sighed with relief quickly pivoting to find my way to my bedroom. When suddenly Ismacked into something hard. As soon as I had lost my balance it was qucikly regained, I looked up to meet the eyes of my saviour and saw two blue eyes looking right back at me.

Before any words could be exchanged between us, Madam shouted "Maxwell, is that you?" Maxwell steadied me with his hands and a small smile then proceeded to enter the office. I looked back briefly before collecting my luggage which was laying on the ground with my dignity. Was that her son?

My legs were aching by the time i reached my bedroom the size of this masion was no joke. i set my luggage on the bed and began packing. Half way I moved from my clothes to the window and slowly opened it. the breeze smoothened away frown lines and sores on my body and i emersed myself in the coolness. The view from outside was breath taking, it stretched out beyond the gates to the countryside and the trees. A knock on the door brought me back to reality.

A blonde head peaked through and I examined the girl that entered. She was shorter than me with very pretty brown eyes and straight blonde hair. It didn take long for me to realise that she too was a servant in the house but by the difference in the quality of our clothing and skin colour, she was of higher rank than me. "Hello, I'm Chloe." 

"Ada" I looked at her up and down warily but, she also looked at me the same before smiling and i knew we would get along straight away.

Chloe had given me tips about the Carlsons and i quickly learnt that Madam and Sir had inherented this masion from Sir's late father, they had two sons and a daughter Maxwell, John and Lila. Maxwell being the oldest at nineteen, John being eight and Lila being fourteen. When dinner time came and introductions had been made, I stood behind the chairs opposite Chloe who was also doing the same. Maxwell finally arrived a little later than everyone, I  saw Chloe's eyes linger on him before he sat down. I hadn't really had the chance to look at him since earlier this evening so a waited a couple minutes before taking him in. He was very tall, with broad shoulders, full lips and chisled jawline. One thing i had noticed immediatley about him was his hair which was dark brown and wavy, I could see why Chloe couldn't take her eyes off him. 

Before I had a chance to look away he looked up and caught me staring at him, I quickly averted my eyes and stared ahead trying to look as neutral as possible.

"Dear how did the finace meeting go, did they agree with our proposition?" Madam said to Sir. As the conversation carried on and I felt my legs becoming stiff from standing. Trying to resit the temptation to stretch I tried to distract myself by looking at what the younger Carlsons were doing. Lila was politely eating whilst, John was looking for a moment to hide the vegetables on his plate in his pockets. I watched him bemused as he succeeded. I suddenly felt someones eyes on me and I looked to the side. Despite knowing i was looking at him  Maxwell continued to stare at me, if anything it made him look longer. I slowley looked around wondering if anyone else was seeing this but everyone else was engaged. Our eyes met again. 

John's plate slid and shattered on the floor, immediately Chloe and I  went towards the scene. John attempted to pick up the pieces but, I stopped him before he could. "It's okay you stay where you are I will clean it" I told him. He still looked worried but slowly began to nod.

"John! come here are you alright?" Madam franticly said examining his body, i walked past them and into the kitchen to get something to clean the mess.

Later that evening i went back downstairs to wash the remaining dishes. I thought back to dinner, why was he looking at me? Was it because of my skin colour? Slaves had been set free a long time ago was it a shock that one would return to work under a white man again? It shouldnt have been, everyone knows that work was scares for Negros I had no choice to return if i was to help my family and save a little. 

A creak startled me from my thoughts. "Sorry, I didnt think anyone was still awake" Maxwell's entered, his presence unnerved me, perhaps because last time we were in the same room more people were there. He edged past me towards the compartment that contained the cups. I moved aside so that he could get water, when he didnt leave I looked up at him in slight annoyance.

"Did you cut yourself." I looked at the direction of his finger, at my finger tip. There was a cut from when iIhad picked up the broken plates.

"It's fine." I dismissed, rolling up my sleeve to resume washing.

"We must have plasters somewhere" he said starting to open the other compartments in the kitchen. I watched him thinking how strange it was that he didn't really know where anything was in his own house. Back at home it was impossible to not know where anything was as all my family had to live in one room.

"Ah here it is" he pulled out a box, I began to protest but, he lead me to the table lighting a candle so some light could be emitted into the room. He unwrapped the paper and placed the plaster on my fore finger gently.  When he had finished I began to let go of his hand but, he held my hand tighter instead. My head shot up in confusion, he traced the inside of my palm lightly before looking into my eyes. 

My mind wander back to my family, the purpose of why I was here and I took my hand away.

"Goodnight" I said my head bowed before, leaving the kitchen, leaving Maxwell and going upstairs to a bed that was not mine, in a house that was not my home.