Ch. 1

Life is Good. Friends are Better.

That's what I wrote on my wrist every morning in the car. Sometimes I added a little something.

Like:

Life is Good. Friends are Better. They're Family.

Friends are supposed to be like family. One big, happy go-God-damn-lucky family. You're destined to love each other. Abiding by the rules means standing by their side no matter what. All the time.

All. The. Time.

Because face it, what are you without friends in school? What would you be? Who would you be? Who could you be? Nothing but a nobody. That's what. I love my friends. Of course they love me. We're not the most popular kids of the school. At least I'm not. In fact I think it's official to say that I'm definitely the ugliest and least popular member of our group.

They love me any way. They're there to help me through the bullying.

Oh, where are my manners? I'm Anne Wisely. This is how I was affected by bullying. And it all started with the first day of school, eleventh grade. Our Junior year.

* * *

"Cassie! Hey!" I exclaimed as I ran out of the car.

My best friend Cassandra Tate with her long chocolate pudding brown hair that reached her curves was standing by the school entrance checking out guys. Her button down shirt didn't even get to express it's full button-down capability because Cassie thought it'd be cute to tie in a knot in the front just enough to show her inward belly button. Not only was she wearing a revealing shirt, her jean shorts were practically putting her butt crack on display. It wouldn't be full-on sexy if she hadn't had her signature blow pop in her mouth.

Some girls call it skanky. Cassie calls it reaching for a fish rather than waiting for it to come to you. Either way I like the top. She barely paid any attention to my calling her name anyway when Jake Samson walked by and stared down at her hips. Or maybe it was where her vagina would be. Who knows. Either way they gave each other those eyes and when he walked away I seized my chance.

"Hi Cassie." I said after tapping her shoulder.

I must've scared her or something because at the sound me she jumped and bit down on the lollipop. Cassandra looked at me and rolled her eyes. Her mouth finished off the blow pop, she threw the stick away and used her pinky to wipe the corners of her mouth.

"Hi Anne. What's going on with your..style today?" She asked gesturing to my huge sweater and sweatpants that are tight around the ankles.

Of course. First day of school isn't when you dress lazy. That's the third day. Well, I can't dress like that because all summer I've only eaten one day out of the week. And it was a salad.

Zero ranch dressing.

"Well, I told you about what I was doing this summer. I lost thirty pounds," I whispered, "Look."

I pulled back a sleeve to show her my pencil-thin right arm. Cassandra's eyes widened as she stepped back a little in horror. Awkwardly and ashamed I slowly rolled my sleeve back down.

"Isn't your mom helping you with that? Like, aren't you seeing a counselor any time soon?"

I sighed loudly and covered my eyes from the sun using my hand. "I am seeing a therapist, they also told me to take supplements which I do. But I don't eat."

"Your mom doesn't watch you?" Cassandra turned to walk into the school. "This isn't healthy."

"Cassie you'll never understand what I go through." I muttered.

I followed her into the school building and took in all that air conditioning. It feels good to be back. This summer I actually went down four sizes! I may not be the prettiest girl out of me, Cassie and Wendy but I'm sure Nick will find me attractive. This'll be the year I finally can get attention from my friends.

"How come your mom doesn't realize that you're not eating?" Cassie asks when we reach the outside of the girls' bathroom.

My stomach twisted and turned. How was I supposed to tell her that I make myself throw up? That's disgusting. I even disgust myself! Even though I no longer do it starting seven weeks ago. Maybe I should just tell her. Cassie will understand just fine about my silly eating disorder. These are side effects right?

"I..make myself throw up in the toilet." I stuttered.

My curvy friend just gasped as she stopped in her tracks. "Anne..that's..that-that..oh my God!"

We both hurried into the bathroom and thankfully nobody was in there. I looked into the mirror and saw how my throat was noticeably caving in. I touched my thumb to it and it was a relieving feeling. Soon I'll finally stop being bullied. Who can bully someone who has anorexia?

When I turned around Cassandra was typing her fingers off. Texting I assume. Typical Cassie.

"Who are you texting?" I asked trying to sneak a peak and her pink-cased iPhone.

"I'm telling Wendy and Nick to meet us in the auditorium." After three more seconds she took a firm grip of my wrist which hurt so much and my bones felt like they'd snap.

In the blink of an eye I was being pulled out of the bathroom and around the halls. No matter how many times I told her how much it hurt more than she realized she wouldn't let go or loosen up. After turning a few more corners we reached the doors of the auditorium which Cassandra had the joy of kicking open. Still I was being dragged and man-handled.

As soon as we entered Wendy and Nick were there.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I heard from Nick.

His gray hoodie matched my gray sweat pants almost perfectly. That jawline was to die for. The tan of his skin only made his blue eyes stand out. Not to mention the very few freckles on his cheek bones.

Oh, those cheek bones.

Wendy stood up in the aisle and I admired that she decided to keep up with her signature look: a jean jacket her mother used to wear (her mom's not dead she just doesn't wear it anymore), a sleeveless and strap less top that actually reached the brim of her hips, and a skirt that went over the top just a little all the time.

"Anne. Why aren't you eating again? Are you crazy?" Wendy yelled at me.

I narrowed my eyes and sat in the seat closest to the doors. "How about a 'Hey Anne, how are you?' instead of this annoying crap."

"Why are you not eating?" Nick demanded an answer.

"Guys, not now. It's the first day of school!" I yelled at them.

Cassie placed a hand on my shoulder. I looked up into her brown eyes. She leaned in and whispered, "We won't continue talking to you if you won't let us help you."

"I don't-"

"You need help." Wendy interrupted.

I looked around at all of them. Are they right? Sure, I have a disorder but I'm not dying. I don't feel anything wrong! This is exactly what I wanted. Just a slice of attention. But, they're seemingly very serious. They won't talk to me anymore if I don't try to let them help me. And I don't want to lose them. Or anyone.

"Fine." I said.