Harry Potter: Gray Shadows Arc 2

Harry and friends visit the Flamels for the first time, opting to build new identities for their “Gray” counterparts. The group eventually returns to Hogwarts, not knowing what to expect from the year. Last year their teacher had Voldemort in his head so... whatever happened this year, couldn’t be that bad, right?

The group quickly learns what it means to be family, what it means to be united, and how to rely and trust others. Well, that and that Voldemort’s a dumb son of a bitch who decided immortality was the key to success (hint: it’s not).

Word count: 26k

The summer had been dreadful for all parties involved the first time around. Snape and McGonagall had to interview dozens of teachers for the Defense job, but few of them showed the least bit of competence. After a few days of constant interviews, Dumbledore had stopped pestering the two, claiming to have found the perfect professor who was also interested in teaching the Boy-Who-Lived. Severus and Minerva had been pleased to be done, but questioned who on earth this teacher was. Dumbledork, however, refused to tell the two and the Gray were left guessing. Minerva had had to make all sorts of plans over the summer and had even planned how to propose to Poppy sometime over the school year.

Luna had been stuck with her father who once again didn’t feed her properly and who physically abused her when given the chance. She had a few scars on her wrist now from where he had taken a knife to her when she tried to cook dinner. The knife she had used to cut the vegetables was ripped from her hand and wielded against her. She had of course tried to calm him down, but he did not listen to reason (not that she actually talked to the man she’d been on non-speaking terms with for the past years). He grabbed her wrist and brought the knife down harshly. She hadn’t even cried... He said that cooking was her mother’s job and Luna couldn’t try to take her place. Xenophilius left after three sharp cuts to her right wrist. She simply healed the wound, but let the scars remain in testament to her father’s actions.

She would not forgive.

She would never forget.

Tonks’ had been pestered persistently by Albus Dumbledork to take the defense position. She was close to giving in just to shut the old coot up, but she honestly felt like now was not the right time. Tonks’ mother, Andromeda, was trying desperately to find her a husband and Nymphadora would have none of it! She was free to make her own decisions and if she was not, then she would make it so. That was part of the reason why she was fighting for the Gray and not the Light or remaining neutral. Furthermore, she was excited to be engaged, even if she couldn’t tell her mother or anyone else. It upset her slightly that no one could know, but she satisfied herself with the knowledge that once the war was over she and Severus could be married. The untold fact that the marriage depended on the two’s survival went unsaid and Tonks did her best not to consider that possibility.

Although she would not be able to inform the group until after the session with the Flamels since she was no accompanying them, Poppy’s summer had been unusual. She typically lived alone, but had been pestered more and more by Alaster Moody to join the Light and work as their medicinal healer (until he suddenly finally stopped pestering her or whatever reason). Poppy simply stated that she wished to have no part in the war at the moment, but would consider the possibility. Furthermore, the man had even made a move on her! She was happily soul-bonded and basically married! She hated not being able to tell him to bugger off, but he eventually stopped visiting half-way through the summer for which she was extremely relieved.