Chapter 2: The Covenant of the Gods

Most people don't start screaming as soon they wake up.

But today, I had the valuable experience of learning exactly how it felt like firsthand.

"————!?"

I was rather impressed at how loud I screamed for someone who'd just woken up. I hadn't been able to form proper words, though.

"——What's going on?"

Someone rushed in from the other side of the bedroom door upon hearing the tremendous scream I had let out. But I didn't have the leisure to care about that. As for why—

"My, my ears......, that scream could destroy even a god's ears......"

"W, w, who are you————!? Why are we sleeping in the same bed————!?

"My poor ears, they're breaking......!"

In other words——I had apparently been sleeping in the embrace of a shockingly beautiful, but suspicious, man with brilliant blue hair.

***

A few minutes later.

I had crawled away to a corner of the spacious bedroom and placed myself far as I possibly could from the two mysterious individuals.

The blue-haired man was still writhing in pain with his hands over his ears on the semi-circle shaped bed. The other man with vivid, flame-like red hair was leaning against the edge of the nightstand as he looked at the former with pity.

——Wha, what's going on!? Where am I? And seriously, who are they!?

Everything was so wrapped up in mystery that my head couldn't keep up with my questions. For the time being, I held on to a conveniently close porcelain water jug so I could hit them with it with all my might if they did anything strange.

——Is this......the ryokan?

I looked around only to grow more puzzled. The room was somewhat old-fashioned and floridly decorated.

But, the difference between this room and the room I had rented with Uncle Miharu was like that of heaven and earth. It felt a little similar, but it was probably better to assume that I was in a completely different building altogether. Each and every decoration, and even the brick walls, gave off a solemn impression that spoke of its age. Also, the room was pretty large and its ceiling was really high up.

Next, I secretly observed the two suspicious individuals. They were dressed just like Fortune had been. They were wearing gorgeous antique clothing, much like the interior décor of the room——and having thought through all of this, I finally looked one in the eyes.

"Where is Fortune!? And what about the wounded man? And the little monkeys!?"

"Calm down, child."

The red-haired man smiled wryly at my confusion.

"Y, you're asking for the impossible here......, and what happened to Uncle Miharu!?"

The red-haired man swiftly got up and stopped me from running out of the room. Instinctively, I gasped.

He was huge. He was probably taller than even the man with the gigantic sword. His eyes were a vivid red, the same color as his hair. Upon a closer look, I noticed that he was wearing three swords at his waist.

"You'll understand better if you see your situation with your own eyes, instead of having me explain it to you, no? Come,"

the man said and left the bedroom first, leaving me as I remained guarded. I hesitated a bit and followed after him after a quick glance at the blue-haired man who was still writhing in pain.