Prologue

Prologue

I had spent a lot of the past year thinking about my future – which was perfectly normal for teenagers my age – but I was pretty sure that most teenagers wouldn't be in the predicament I found myself in.

The thing in front of me stretched it's lips into what could have been a smile if he hadn't looked so fierce, and his green eyes seemed to scorch mine as he stared at me, waiting for something. My palms began to sweat, my decision made.

There was no way in knowing whether what I chose was right for everyone. There were so many pros and cons, that the numbers churned chaotically in my head. At the moment, my mind and heart were untrustworthy, filled with the secrets and the lies that had been slowly sowed into me, as though I had just been a quilt created by the monsters that surrounded me, made for the purpose of comforting them.

There were many paths and judgments made that lead me to this moment, but I was positive that the outcome would have been inevitable. My destiny had been written even before I was born, by powers I couldn't even consider without being overwhelmed. Whether the stars or the gods decided who I was meant to be, or what I was meant to do, it didn't matter, because there was no escaping fate when it was branded to you.

Those burning green eyes squinted at me, and the beast spread his arms, and it was up to me to conclude whether that gesture was to attack or to welcome.