Chapter Three - Secrets

Chapter Three – Secrets

“He's not that creepy,” I said to Chace. “Well, he does have a 'stalker' vibe, I guess.”

“That's not it,” Chace whispered, even though the crowd was thinning and no one was paying any attention to us as they rushed off to their first period class, “he came here the next morning after you left.”

“We get new students all the time,” I told him.

“Not new kids who go around asking weird questions,” Chace was very serious. “You should've heard him, 'have you ever met a girl with green eyes?' 'Green eyes and dark hair are a weird combo. I've never seen a girl like that.' He just kept talking about green eyes and dark hair. I'm telling you – that guy has a secret.”

“We need to figure out what it is, then,” I said solemnly.

Chace's blue eyes widened, but he nodded gravely.

“He probably has a basement full of sick, twisted secrets,” I said in mock disgust. “Pictures of me hanging over his desk – maybe even a look-a-like doll.”

“You think so?”

“No. This isn't a movie, Chace,” I rolled my eyes. “Maybe he's just trying to make conversation. He's a new kid, he's bound to stick out.”

I was never a new student, but I watched other people go through the process of being the jewel of the week, before they were permanently stamped into a clique: jock, cheerleader, predator, geek, loner...

Chace glared. “I'm serious! It's like he was looking for you or something.”

“How many scary movies have you watched this past year?”

“Shut it, Grace.”

I laughed, but not because it was funny. I came back to Dogwood worrying that I didn't have anything to come back to – yet that wasn't the case. Chace had been troubled about my disappearance, he looked for me, and that was more than I could say about anyone else in my life. My body took over and I hugged him once again. He smelled like home; energy drinks, nature, textbooks....

“Perfume?” I murmured, and sniffed him again. “Are you wearing perfume?”

“Oh, no,” he said. He gave me an embarrassed half smile. “But my girlfriend does.”

I froze.

“Girlfriend?”

“Er, yeah,” he scratched the back of his head. “I would have told you but you weren't at your place for an entire year.”

“You've been waiting to tell me this for an entire year?” I took a step back from him, surprised.