Convalescence

Jenkins, have gone to stem fair under clipping book instructions. ~ Cassie. P.s. Flynn has gone back out looking for the library. P.p.s. hope your friend likes her clothes.

It had been four months since Dulacque had left Maria on the doorstep of the library. Jenkins had tried to help her remember. The caretaker had attempted to reteach her history and reintroduce her to things she once loved. He hoped that something would at least bring back the flame of life and knowledge he had seen so briefly. Cassandra had kindly purchased more clothes for her.

He shook his head as he looked up to Maria who was curled in a corner of cushions and blankets with several books, she read quietly, still cuddling the cushion with one arm. "It seems the others have gone out. We have the library to ourselves." Jenkins smiled softly at her as he watched her posture relax and she set her book down. He moved over to her, holding a sword in each hand.

"Did Mister Dulacque try and teach you this?" He offered her the hilt of one of the swords. Her eyes broke from his brown ones and met the silver steel of the sword.

"I... he tried but I couldn't do it..."

"Try again, my lady, please."

She nodded and her eyes glazed over as small, thin fingered hands grasped the hilt, wrapping around and holding the weapon with tentative curiosity. Jenkins had moved the main reading table of the library out of the way and he carefully swung his own sword at her. With unthinking reaction, there was a tap of steel. Then another as the caretaker swung once more and she blocked, moving back on unsure feet.

"Good. Again." He nodded his head in praise and continued to swing the sword at her, moving languidly with one hand in his pocket. Each movement Jenkins made was with a grace and poise honed over centuries but as their tapping of steel became monotonous, his hits became more unpredictable with more force, causing the steel to clash and whine with each block as the two danced around each other. Eventually, he swung slightly higher, near her head, and she ducked. The Lady was ever the epitome of grace, even as she moved low and her own sword went up towards his jaw. Jenkins, however managed to push the blow back with his sword once again.

He didn't calculate, however, the strength in his parry and the young woman stumbled backwards, only to be caught quickly in the knight's arms. Dark chestnut eyes watched as her pale skin flushed and she wrapped her arms around his neck, fingers teasing at the hair on the nape of his neck. His face was so close, she could feel his warmth, the light whisper of his breath on her cheek, she bit her lower lip as her gaze broke from his and rested on his lips. The swords fell from both their hands, clattering to the floor and breaking their trance.

The knight quickly straightened their posture but still held her close. "My apologies, my lady."

"No apologies, Jenkins..." She rested her forehead against his own and her hand rested at his cheek, stroking the light stubble there. The caretaker couldn't help himself as he ran his hands up the flanks of her body, pressing a light kiss to her forehead, Maria nuzzled into his neck as he stroked her hair with one hand. "I... I've seen you in my dreams... You are different... younger... and you rescue me from a darkness..."

"A darkness?"

"Yes, it's..."

A light chuckle filled the room and broke the two from their conversation.

"Well, isn't this sweet? You've found her again, Galeas." The pair looked over to the red head, beautiful in her emerald dress and gold heels. "Why don't you come here, my dear..." With a nonchalant wave of her wrist, the small blonde was dragged from her knights arms and into those of Morgan Le Fay.