1.0

Thank you for motivating me to write ntlpurpolia. She's a great writer and deserves many more reads! If you're looking for a new and interesting novel to read, her books are the correct choice for you!

~

Calgary, Alberta

Mara didn't mean to burn herself.

A shrill cry sprung from her throat, disturbing the silence of the quiet house. The cup of coffee slipped from her hands. Liquid splashed onto the black cabinets in the kitchen, before scattering into tiny pieces on the white oak Dublin floors.

She cursed under her breath, kneeling next to the kitchen island. Carefully, she picked at what was left of her Sloan mug. Warmth of the liquid seared the skin on the back of her hand, but she disregarded the burn.

"No, no," she mumbled, reaching for the brown rag on the counter. "So much for the same flooring all over the house." Furiously, she rubbed at the oak floors, afraid of the fallen coffee leaving a stain. She could handle anything. But not a mark in her perfectly clean house.

Letting out a frustrated puff of air, she stood up. Her raven waves fell to the side with her eyes narrowed as she eyed the floor for any signs of the incident that occurred. A smile slipped onto her lips. This time she sighed in content, at peace that her home had not suffered from damage.

Soft footsteps approached, afraid, her gaze lifted. Her heart hammered against her chest, then relaxed when she noticed the addition in the kitchen.

Her son, Dothan rubbed his groggy eyes, his lips turned downwards into a frown. "Mom?"

"Nothing happened," Mara responded, her tone quick, hushed, terrified of someone finding out about her mishap. She crossed her arms across her chest, stepping away from the counter and towards the faucet. She rinsed her hands with cold water. The cool sensation pulling her away from the burn.

Once she finished, she turned back to Dothan. Who remained near the door, eyes on his mother. Only then did her blue eyes rove over his outfit. Dressed in a black and red flannel, with blue jeans, and black hair that messily fell into his brown eyes. "Dothan, why aren't you dressed?"

Brown eyes followed her movements, before they lowered. Dothan glanced at his attire, puckering his lips in thought. "It's non-uniform day, because-"

With a shake of her head, Mara cut him off. "I picked out an outfit for your pictures today."

"That's too fancy."

Slowly, she approached him. Her bottom lip curled inward, unsure of Dothan's sudden defiance. "You want to look presentable, don't you?" She asked, running her slender fingers through his raven hair. He groaned, then stifled it with a cough. Mara could feel her anger rising, and she clenched her jaw. Her own son was now refusing to follow her wishes. Though for him they should be commands, he should've hurried to follow. Just like Mara would do for her own parents. "I want to see you in the maroon dress shirt I picked out for you."

Dothan stepped away from her, nodding. Mara's hand fell to her side. His doll-like eyes-like his mother's- looked Mara up and down as if he didn't understand the alien in front of him. The frantic look in her huge blue eyes and black waves disheveled on top her head, caused his brows to draw in. She hugged herself tightly, rubbing her arms in repeated motions like she was cold. His eyes darted towards the grey curtains draping the high windows. Leading into the dining room then connecting to the living room. Letting a hint of sunshine peak through. Enough to warm the kitchen.