Prologue

How to feel. How she would give anything and everything to know how to feel. Except she couldn't feel anything, no matter how hard she tried.

She didn't feel anything when people at her school hurled insults at her. She couldn't feel the harsh words her aunt threw at her. She couldn't feel the pain when people pushed her around at school. She couldn't even feel anything when her parents died.

Maybe they were right after all. She was a 'freak'. A 'monster'. An 'abomination'. But she couldn't even tell how she felt being called that. She couldn't feel anything.

Skylar rushed towards the homeroom even though there were still ten minutes until the class starts. She didn't want to risk being caught by one of the high-end people of the Redwood Academy so early in the morning. Especially Leah McCarty and her gang of friends. They can do a lot within ten minutes.

Her shoes squeaked against the clean tiles of the corridor bringing unwanted attention towards her. She noticed how the corridor wasn't bustling with a lot of people today, maybe because it was raining cats and dogs. Good for her, the less people there are present today, the less attention she gets.

Suddenly, she fell down to the floor. She couldn't comprehend what had happened. One minute she was rushing to her class and the next she was lying face down on the floor, with her school supplies scattered everywhere. She wasn't normally this clumsy so what happened today?

Her question was immediately answered when she saw a pair of feet clad in blue converse shoes stood in front of her. She knew those shoes all too well. They belonged to none other than Leah McCarty. Speak of the devil. Looks like not everyone decided to sit back at home today.

"Hey freak, feel anything yet?"

Laughter surrounded the corridor at that. Skylar may be an alexithymic but she was sure all these people around her were no less than a person having a psychological disorder. How else can one explain their behaviour towards her?

She ignored the snide remark thrown at her and the condescending laughter surrounding the corridor. Even though she couldn't feel the pain, her body clearly took a hard fall as her hands shook when she tried to push herself up. She winced from the effort it took for her to stand up, looking at her scratched elbows which were already starting to bruise.

Going to the infirmary will have to wait until later, she didn't want to miss her class. She still had a bit of homework left from yesterday which she planned to complete during homeroom.

Quickly gathering up her stuff, she tried to move towards the staircase which lead to the floor above where her class was held but her path was blocked by Leah. She sighed when she realised that she will be missing this class. There was no way Leah would let her go unless she had her share of fun for the day.

"You know, I came across an interesting fact about your disorder yesterday. So I wanted to confirm it with you before starting the day." Leah said, leaning her back against the railing.

"Oh yeah? And how did you come to know about this fact anyway? Perhaps during one of your sessions with a shrink because clearly you are in much more need of therapy than I am." was what she wanted to counter with a smirk. But couldn't. Because that's just the way Skylar was. She didn't want to waste any unnecessary energy over her when she could spend it over something productive. Like doing her homework.

Skylar just stood there in front of her with an indifferent expression. She was used to all of this. This happened every day, today wasn't any different.