1

It's been just me and Joon for forever. We've lived here since we were kids. I used to live with my dad too but after he passed it was just me until mom brought Joon.

"I thought you'd like it. It's very rare and I trust you to have it." My mom said dragging in a little wolf cub with a metal collar locked around his neck. My heart stops seeing him.

"Thanks mom!" I scream running to the little guy and picking him up. I knew when I saw him that he was way to small. He weighed almost nothing.

"Of course! You know I'd only do it for you! Mommy's gonna go get some rest. Make me some dinner?" I nod watching as the woman walked upstairs into my dad's old room. She wears too much perfume, I used to be able to smell him but it's gone just like him.

I carry the cub upstairs into my own room and lay him on my bed. I shut the door then, using the key, I unlock the collar. He doesn't unshift, I thought he would. I bundle him up in blankets and he catches my hand biting it hard.

"Fuck!" I scream. Me an eight year old. Mom didn't like that. I heard her throw something so I quieted myself. I look to the bed and the hybrid has shifted into its human form. He's just a kid, just like me. His mouth has my blood on it and there's a red ring around his neck.

"Ssorry! Please! Please don't hit me!" He squeak.

"Why would I do that?" I ask. He freezes and a look of confusion takes over his features. "Why?" He repeats. Then shifts back into his wolf form, watching me.

"Are you hungry?" I ask. He nods carefully.

"Okay I'll be right back. Please don't leave." I leave the room, shutting the door behind me.

I run downstairs and throw some chicken nuggets into the microwave for three minutes then rush back up.

When I open the door, the boy is laying on my bed with a sweater of mine. He's hugging it close to himself as he cries.

"Hey bud, what's the matter?" I ask slowly entering. He looks at me tears streaming down his face.

"You're nice!" He says then jumps off the bed and hugs me tightly making me almost drop the nuggets.

"Alright hun, I'm heading to the vc airpor- what are you doing?! He's dangerous!" Mom pulled him away from me and grabbed the collar securing it on his neck. He whimpered in pain as his body was forced to change into the pure animal form.

"I thought that I could trust you! Apparently not, I'm keeping this key! I'm leaving, I have an important plane to catch." She stomping out and downstairs. I hear as the door slams shut and see as the hybrid flinches.

The pup looks up at me and I pull him up onto my arms. "I'll just have to pick the lock."

——

As the two grow up they grow a strong bond. She can't go through the day without him, he was in all of her classes and they were inseparable.

I can say that he and I grew up in a safe space, mom was never home and our grandparents would visit often.

"Thank you!!!" I screamed as she handed me the black wolf kit. "I'm giving you the key to his collar and I trust you to hide it. You got a, rare, normally hostile, hybrid because I trust you enough to have it. I also got you a spike collar and muzzle in case. Happy early eighth birthday, I'm sorry but I gotta go to the airport now. Bye." She said as he left through the door.

"Poor guy you're still nursing, they took you too early." I mumbled as the baby wolf sucked on my thumb. "Alright I'm going to get you some formula and toys!" I told him. He didn't seem to actually understand me which worried me. Wolf hybrids when they leave their mothers are already smart enough to understand humans talk, he was definitely taken too early.

After a trip to the pet store I arrived back home and fixed a bottle of milk for the hybrid. I opened my door and smiled seeing him still sleeping in my bed.