𝒅𝒊𝒆𝒄𝒊𝒔𝒊𝒆𝒕𝒆; 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒊 𝒔𝒂𝒊𝒅.

Each step I took I wanted to slow down, this wasn't right. There was a sick feeling at the pit of my stomach that told me so. My palms started to grow sweaty around my bouquet. I tried a weak smiled as Mateo grinned at me, his hands folded over each other.

But he must've sensed something was wrong because he started to frown, but I just avoided eye contact, which gave him more of a reason to think something was wrong. I set my flowers on the side where the other bouquets were, before standing across from Mateo.

"We are gathered here today, to celebrate the love of Verónica De Leon and Mateo Fernández." The officiant started to say with a strong Spanish accent, but it seemed he was fluent English. He spoke for another five or so minutes, just talking about Mateo and I, but I wasn't really listening.

So, when Mateo smiled, I smiled. When the audience laughed, I laughed. It was all fake. Soon enough, it was time for the vows. Mateo took my hands in his, I gulped.

"I come here libremente and without reservation to give mí mismo to you and so that we may join your life and mine." Mateo grinned. I blushed and the audience smiled at me. "I vow to always protect you from harm, to stand with you against your troubles, and look to you when I need protection. Te amo." 

He stopped speaking and I realised it was time for me to start my vows. 

"Oh, uh..." I murmured, not a great start. "As we grow together, I will build a bough of branches so that we might live in the sky. Together we will live in the air, building our foundations beneath." Abuela's friend had helped me, there was no way I could've done it on my own. Too much pressure. "Te amo," I added. 

It wasn't nearly as meaningful as Mateo's vows, but from the grin on his face, I took it that he didn't notice.

The officiant smiled at me before facing the crowd and asking, "If a man has any sort of objection why these two should not get married, please speak now."

"Yeah!" Everyone's heads turned towards the voice, including mine and Mateo's. My eyes widened. There he was. Standing up in one of the back rows, in a suit, with a desperate expression on his face.

"C-Corbyn?" I asked. Not loud enough for him to hear, but Mateo sure did. Abuela must have heard as well because her eyes amplified as she recognised the name.

"You know him?" Mateo asked.

"Well, yeah, I-I-," I started.

"American boy?" Abuela turned around and asked. Corbyn looked at her and raised an eyebrow.

"Corbyn!" Bea jumped to her feet and grinned. Before looking at me and frowning, realising why he was here and what he had done. 

"Hi, Bea." He muttered, nodding at her before turning his gaze back to me. 

"That's American boy?" Mateo questioned, pointing at Corbyn, who started to walk down the aisle. Mateo was fuming.

"I guess so, everyone keeps referring to me as that." Corbyn shrugged, stepping forward so he was where the officiant had moved over, not knowing what to do. Clearly, no one had objected at the weddings he had done before. 

"What are you doing here?" I was the first to ask. Corbyn sighed and took both my hands in his. The audience gave a little gasp, like in a movie. I blushed, half with embarrassment and half because I was flattered.

"Because I love you." He said. Another gasp. "And I can't let you get married."

"You can't do anything." Mateo interrupted. Corbyn ignored him.

"When you weren't answering, I knew I couldn't just stay in LA, wondering if you would reconsider. I had to come here." He continued to explain, "Ronnie, we love each other. That's something, right?"

"No, Verónica and I love each other." Mateo interrupted again. Corbyn flinched.

"No," I whispered after a while. 

"What?" Mateo turned to me.

"I don't love you." I muttered, "I thought I did, but I don't." I paused, "I love Corbyn." The audience started to murmur, no one knew what to do. Mateo looked horrified. I looked at mamá, papá and Abuela, who also looked distraught. 

I started to speed walk down the aisle, I would go back to the house. Someone would find me, scolding me about what I had done so I would feel even more embarrassed than I already did. 

Corbyn ran after me and he caught up with me just as I had left the beach.

"I can't even imagine how you're feeling right now." He sighed.

"I don't even know how I feel." I rubbed my eyes. There was silence, but I felt comfortable.

"You look beautiful, in that dress." Corbyn nodded, "I knew you would." I had almost forgotten I was wearing the dress he had bought me.

"Thank you," I said. Another short silence. "I'm sorry," I added.

"For what?" Corbyn asked.

"For not taking us seriously." I sighed, "I shouldn't have agreed to marry Mateo. Not while I was in love with you."

"I'm the one who should be sorry, and I am." Corbyn said, "If I hadn't cut you off, you wouldn't have been getting married to that Mateo guy in the first place." 

"I guess so." I shrugged.

"I can't believe this is how we reunited." Corbyn sighed, "Not exactly romantic, is it?"

"I think it's really romantic." I nodded, "You, in love with me, fly from America to object at my wedding, making me realise you're the one for me and-,"

"I'm the one for you?" Corbyn grinned. He sounded over the moon, it was so adorable.

"Of course, you are." I bumped shoulders with him, "I couldn't think of anyone else I'd rather be with."

"God, you're cute." Corbyn smiled at me. I blushed. "And I love you so much." Corbyn poked me repeatedly in the side, making me giggle.

"Corb- Corbyn, stop-," I pushed him away, laughing, but he pulled me back and kissed me passionately. I hadn't kissed him in so long. This felt right. This is what was missing the whole time. 

I was never letting him go again. 

𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒓'𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒆.
𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒌 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒐 𝒎𝒖𝒄𝒉 𝒇𝒐𝒓 300 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒐 @𝒃𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒔𝒇𝒖𝒍𝒄𝒗𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒗𝒐𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈.

"𝑴𝒆𝒕 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕, 𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒂𝒕 𝒂 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑯𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒔 (𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑯𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒔)
𝑺𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝒎𝒆 𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆𝒅 𝒎𝒚 𝒗𝒊𝒃𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑰 𝒔𝒂𝒊𝒅, "𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒕'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍" (𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍)"