XII - The Chosen

We stepped out of the office to see every Skaikru member gathered in the rotunda. Irritated Grounders stood guard at every exit until every member of my clan was inside, then they shut the doors. Only one hundred of them would get to stay. Everyone was shouting, panicked, angry. Understandably so. I already got a spot. So did Bellamy. I just hoped all my other friends would make it. Given that we were going to be drawing names, I didn't see the chances of that being very high.

Jaha turned to us, glowering. "Three out of four of these people are going to die tonight. You still think you made the right choice?"

I didn't justify that with a response. Bellamy squeezed my hand tight in solidarity. Whatever happened today, we'd get through it together.

With everyone locked in the rotunda, we reconvened in the main office. Abby turned on the radio and called for Raven. I lingered close by with my dad while everyone else gave her space, just outside the door. I wanted to hear her voice. It felt like I hadn't seen her in ages. I missed her.

"Just hang in there," Abby said, after a few moments of pleasantries. "We're sending a team to get you today."

"You're sure about this?" She asked.

"Yes, we need you not just for the hundreds of things we know you can fix, but for the thousands that we haven't even thought of yet."

There was a pause of silence. Then she spoke again, her voice softer, relieved. "Thank you, Abby."

"I'm just glad you're alright."

Raven replied, "You'll be too. My brain is healing. The seizures have stopped. When I get there, we'll use the same procedure on you. You'll be cured."

Dad stepped forwards, concern clear on his face. "Cured? What's she talking about?"

I took a step back, giving them some space. I didn't know the story there but I knew that conversation was not going to involve me.

The door opened, and the others stepped back into the office. Jaha was looking more bleak and angrily philosophical than normal.

"Our people are scared, Marcus," Jaha said. "We need to tell them something."

Dad replied, "We just spoke with Raven. When she gets here, we'll have all our essential personnel."

"How many spots does that leave us with?" Clarke asked.

Abby sighed. "Including the essential personnel and the places that we're holding for the children under sixteen, that leaves us with eighty."

Clarke repeated the number, her face falling.

Jaha scoffed. "I can't believe we're talking about sending three hundred and sixty four of our own people to their deaths."

"We're lucky they're giving us any space in this bunker at all," I snapped, trying to push down my annoyance. The tension was already high enough outside of the office. Better to keep it low inside.

Dad interjected, "Look, I don't like it any more than you do."

"Then let's fight this!" Jaha said.

"No. Any sort of resistance will cost us all our lives. Our best course of action is to hold a lottery for the remaining spots."

Jaha shook his head. "It's not going to work, Marcus."

Dad crossed his arms. "It was your idea."

"That was for the chance to survive!"

"And how is this any different?" Abby implored.