one

a/n: as usual, japanese words and suffixes are italicized. i hope you enjoy and love this story. x

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"I LIKE YOU, SHIDA MIRAI-SAN. Will you go out with me?"

A frown on Mirai's face appears as she hears those words from the person in front of her. This guy goes to the same university as her but if she remembers correctly, they take different courses. She doesn't know him personally, except for his name and his face, which most of the girls in her classes talk about. In summary, this person is a total stranger to her. But then, here he is, confessing his so-called "like" for her.

What kind of joke is this?!

"Um... Yamada-kun...?" she starts, her gaze intent on the guy who is now looking down like he finds something interesting on the ground.

Yamada Ryosuke, a student from their university's college of music and arts. He is quite a famous personality inside and outside their university because of his looks which makes a lot of women throw themselves at him, or so the rumors say. But she's different. Mirai is one of those not interested in him... nor in anyone, for that matter.

All she ever wants is to have a very peaceful college life. She doesn't have any close friends nor a group of people she usually hangs out with. She actually does not hang out at all. Her free times and breaks are mostly spent inside the library, and even when she gets home, she locks herself inside her room to study more. During her three years in that university, she can confidently say that she's been successful in keeping a low profile and maintaining a peaceful life.

But it seems that the arrival of this person in front of her is an impending threat to her presently quiet and peaceful life.

His back straightens as he looks at her. "Yes?"

She almost grimaces at his sight. His face is so distracting, I can't focus. Ugh. "We don't know each other, how can you say you like me?"

"Believe me, I know you," he smiles. "Maybe even more than I should?"

Mirai's eyes widen at his statement. "W-what do you m-mean?"

"I have liked you ever since I first saw you at the opening ceremony," he shrugs. "But I have no means to talk to you since we're taking different courses and classes. Then came our second year, which we have elective subjects. So I secretly took the elective subjects you took just so I could get near you."

"W-wha—" her lips form an "O" as her eyes widen more, if that is even possible. Is this guy telling her the truth? If so, why hasn't she noticed him in any of her elective subjects?

And as if reading her mind, he chuckles before answering, "You were too focused on your studies, you didn't notice me. You don't even notice anyone in class. It's as if you have your own world. And I admired you more for that."

"Are you stupid?" she questions him, almost abruptly. His words are slowly sinking to her mind. "That's not an appropriate reason to like someone. We don't even speak to each other, we haven't even met properly yet."

"We're talking now," he counters with a smile that distracts her again. Ugh, why is his smile doing things to her? "And as I said earlier, I know you. Now, it's my turn, I guess?" he raises one arm as if making a sworn oath. "Hi, Shida Mirai-san. My name is Yamada Ryosuke, a CMA student who's liking you for almost two years now. I'm a nice guy, I promise."

For some unknown reason, she suddenly finds him very funny. Mirai starts laughing her guts out. She doesn't know which part on his speech she finds funny, but she can't help laughing.

"Finally, you laughed."

Those words put a stop on her laugh, and as she looks up at him, she sees him smiling at her. A genuine smile. A smile that seems to be saying that he's very happy Mirai is laughing. And suddenly, she felt something tug on her chest, while her heart starts beating rapidly.

"Anyway," she coughs and looks away to hide her reddening cheeks. "I'm sorry but that is still not enough reason for me to go out with you. I barely know you, except for your name and your face," she stops speaking as his face falls. She thinks for a while then continues, "Although if you want, we could be friends."

"Friends... huh?"

She does not know why but his words made her feel sad. She can clearly hear the sadness in his tone, the desperation in his voice which she does not know where it comes from. It partly frustrates her because she can't do anything about it, but she also doesn't want to sacrifice herself just to suffice his wants.

She stands with her opinion: she does not know him and she is not willing to let go of her life's peace and quiet yet.

She swallows the guilt that's growing inside her. "You don't wanna be friends? Um, o-okay then. Have a nice day, Yamada-kun."

Her feet starts turning towards the door when he suddenly holds her arm to stop her. Mirai stops walking and faces him, a curious expression on her face.

"One week. Let's get to know each other for one week," he says in a small voice, his voice almost shaking. "If you still don't want to date me after one week, fine, I will leave you alone. I won't bother you ever again."

She stares at him, intently, trying to read his mind—trying to analyze where the desperation comes from. Because she can clearly catch the nervousness in his voice, despite his strong façade and it puzzles her why he is so keen on dating her. But somehow... she is moved? Maybe it's his eyes. Those brown pools that seem like they are pleading to her very core. Those chocolate brown orbs that seem to swallow her whole. Suddenly, she finds herself nodding in agreement to his crazy proposal.

"Yosh!" his cheerfulness comes back, air-fisting as if he won the lottery. Holding her on both her shoulders, he looks at her happily. "Thank you so much, Mirai. Really."

Again, all she does is nod. Even though her brow is itching to raise an inch higher with the way he calls her. 'Mirai'? No honorifics? That fast?

But then again, seeing how his eyes twinkle and how his mouth almost tear up from side to side because of his wide smile, Mirai can't seem to debate to herself that she made the wrong decision. Seeing how glad and relieved he is, she feels like for the first time in her life, she made the rightest decision.

Yup, this is a right decision... probably.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

so how was it? please let me know your thoughts. also please don't forget to vote!

xo, hansel ♡