chapter 3.

Was it not regret she felt all this time? Why is their mom crying at the thought of Fate and Chrissy leaving? Is it the ass-kissing she'll miss? Or—or.

"I'm so sorry." She keeps repeating. "I should've spent more time with you girls, I know it feels like I wasn't there for you girls."

Chrissy stands in her nightgown, the crust still clinging to her eyes.  Her mouth opens but no words comes out, she closes it.

"What do you mean they're going to take us?" Fate asks, slowly.

Their mom slides to the floor, a dark, sad aroma surrounds her. "I didn't think it would be so early. They said it wasn't until they're sure you girls would graduate and be gone by then."

Something in Chrissy snaps and anger clouds her face. "If you don't make sense and tell us what is going on, Árc so help me now, I'll cast a spell on you."

Everything goes quiet. Their mom sits speechless on the floor, staring up at Chrissy with disbelief.

"Chrissy?" Fate exclaims. "You just threaten ma?"

Chrissy blinks at Fate. "I wasn't going to actually hurt her, maybe turn her into a frog."

Their mom laughs. "You're definitely your father's child."

They stare at her.

Their mom sighs. "We're—no, you girls are going to move to a different facility. You'll be adopted into a new family, temporarily, until they fix whatever needs to be fixed."

"Huh?" Fate takes some time before what her mom says processes.

"Fixed whatever needs to be fixed?" Chrissy eyes narrows. "Can we skip the pleasantry?"

Fate scowls. "Chris."

Chrissy sighs defeatedly before sliding on the floor next to their mom. "I'm sorry ma."

Fate doesn't know what to say or how to feel at this moment. If there's a word to describe what she's feeling though, it would be numb. She's supposed to graduate and go to Saint Valcary Academy of Magiks, she have—had—plans for her future that didn't include her being shipped off into another facility and into another family. "It's an evil world we live in."

Both Chrissy and their mom looks up at Fate simultaneously.

Fate narrows her eyes, her lip presses together in a thin line. "How long will this problem take?"

Their mom looks at the floor. "It's not guaranteed yet, hopefully it'll be solve sooner than it needs be."

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Fate mumbles miserably to herself as she packs a small bag of things she'll need while she's away. Remembering the message she had gotten early from Mei, she pushes her bag aside and sits at the edge of the bed and checks her phone.

Mei Ling: call me asap

She's probably going through the same thing too, Fate thinks.

Mei answers on the fourth ring. "I said call me asap, not call me when you feel like to."

"What if my 'feel like to' is my asap?" Fate jokes.

Mei scuffs from the other end of the line. "You got jokes now?"

"It runs in the family. Anyways, what's the issue? What was so important that I had to call asap?" Fate keeps refrains from giving too much just in case Mei knew not of what's going on in their family.

"Dude, we're going to share a facility with water cultivators. Water cultivators."

"I heard." Fate says calmly.

"Aren't you freaked out? We're fire cultivators sharing a facility with water cultivators? Water and fire doesn't mix, water cancels out fire." Mei rants aggressively. "This is a set up, I tell you."

"Huh uh."

Mei stops ranting, the other end of the line goes quiet. "Why are you so calm?"

"Think of it as a start over. We can even change our names and no one would know, except for other fire cultivators of course. Plus I heard that in the mist facility they have better equipments and their fashion senses are highly looked up on—"

"Also I heard they won faces of the year three times in a row, that could only mean one thing." Fate can almost hear the smirk in Mei's voice.

She also hears faint voices in the background, a voice shouts loudly, a glass breaking follows shortly behind.

"I've got to go, I'll call you back." Mei says abruptly.

"Alright, by—" the other line goes dead.