twenty four

isabelle
bellamy blake 𝘹 fem!oc
© WANDARYEN ──── 2024

"I know you used that you're only familiar with using a knife, you have no fighting skills, and your gun knowledge is basically zero."

"Well when you put it like that, it sounds like I'm completely useless to the world." Isabelle couldn't help but roll her eyes at Sera.

Nala went to one of the many rooms with Blue to do a private discussion about Mount Weather. The other three girls stood around with Isabelle, inspecting other weapons that were sprawled out on a table.

There was a machete, a throwing axe, bow and arrow, bludgeon, katana, and a wooden baseball with sharp wiring wrapped around it.

Isabelle nervously raised her eyebrows at the options offered in front of her. "I'm scared to ask how you guys obtained these weapons. And who the hell was carrying these before the war."

"You'd be surprised," Zoelle shrugged mindlessly.

"I'm not taking you out there with a weapon that you're not comfortable using." Rosary, with her arms crossed firmly over her chest, nodded towards the weapons. "Pick one."

"Why would I be comfortable picking any of these?" Isabelle's eyes narrowed at the older girl standing across from her.

"Because if you don't, you will die."

Her lips twisted with distaste for the harsh truth Rosary decided to throw at her like a curveball. "Fine," she finally muttered and reached for the simplest looking weapon — the katana. It was something she was familiar with seeing the grounders use and the others looked too complicated for her to get comfortable with.

"Are you better with up close combat?" Zoelle asked.

"Well," Isabelle's gaze flickered around the weapon she held in her grasp. "It's the most I've had practice with. Our group back at the dropship was separated through ranks. You pretty much had your gunners on guard, your soldiers on the ground for close combat — and then there was me. I honestly believe I was that useless — now that I think about it."

"You either fight beside your friends or hide in the dark. In which you've stated multiple times that you've helped your friends survive." Isabelle looked directly at Rosary, the woman now holding a rifle in her grasp. "Trust me when I say you weren't useless."

"That being said — we need to know what you're most comfortable with. If it's going to be the katana then we need to practice before we step outside. I don't want you accidentally hurting yourself or chopping our heads off." Rosary continued.

Isabelle remembered what Octavia said back at camp right before the grounders invaded their home. Her own words empowered Isabelle even when she wasn't sure what to do.

"Like you said, I'm a grounder."

Isabelle pressed her palms flat against the table and exhaled heavily. "But I'm not a grounder or a gunner — " the words fell from her lips with no intention of the others hearing her.

Sera quickly grabbed Isabelle's shoulder and gently pulled her back. "Stop it, Isabelle. Stop kicking yourself when you're already down." With both hands placed upon Isabelle's shoulders, Sera forced the girl to face her. "What do you want to be?"

"I want to be a fighter. I want to save my friends — I don't want to be weak."

"Then fight." Sera responded sternly, giving Isabelle's shoulders a firm squeeze. "Nobody is going to sit here and tell you what you are and what you can't be. That's for you to decide. Whatever weapon you choose to defend yourself with will never change the kind of person you are."