Friendly Fun?

I knock on the closed door. "Mason?"

"Yeah, come in."

He's sitting behind his desk with only the light from a table lamp.

Leaving the door open, I walk in. "You almost finish?"

"Yeah, I'm done." Standing, he moves across the room, taking down the old picture.

Come on really? is this a 1940s movie? a safe behind a picture?

Feeling awkward about knowing where it is now, I turn my back, looking anywhere but the safe.

There are so many family photos scattered across the room, recent ones and others from a long time ago, Mason as a child is very cute.

I've only met his parents a few times, they were going to sell this place, but Mason begged them to keep it in the family, he stepped up and took over.

From what Cora tells me, they're off travelling the world.

"Do you miss them?" I say while picking up the old memory, it's Mason fishing with his father, Mason looks about eight years old.

He moves in next to me, looking down at the picture. "My mother texts at least five times a day, always updating me, sending me photos."

"She probably does it, so you don't worry about them."

Taking the picture from my hand. "I miss them, I miss having a place that I know I can go, it's not home without them."

That's probably the deepest thing I've ever heard Mason say.

Placing the picture back on the desk, he turns to me. "Shit, I'm so sorry Ally, I didn't think, I shouldn't of..."

"Mason, it's fine."

"Cora told me, I can't even imagine what it must be like."

His eyes have pity in them, this is what it's like, whenever someone finds out, they pity me, treated me different.

"Mason, do you like who I am?"

He's confused. "Of course I do."

"And you liked me, before knowing my past?"

"Yes."

"So, don't change how you act around me, don't change how you treat me, I'm the same, my past is gone, it doesn't make me who I am now."

He gives a weak smile, with sad eyes, reaching out his hand, brushing his thumb across my cheek.

We're having a moment, I'm seeing him differently, his eyes are glassy, vulnerable.

"LET'S GET THIS PARTY..." Cora barges into the office, looking between us.

Mason drops his hand and leans down to the desk picking up his keys.

She's smiling at me, which I roll my eyes at.

"You two wait out the front, while I lock up, I'll be two seconds."

She waited until we're outside. "Okay, what was that?"

"What was what?" I say while zipping up my coat

"You two, what did I interrupt?"

The lights inside are turning off one by one, Mason's getting closer. "Cora, stop, it's nothing, let's just go out and have fun, stop trying to push this, if it happens, it happens, don't force it."

**

We didn't have to go far, Cora insisted that this place is going to be the only place to go on a Wednesday night.

Mason seemed cool with it, I have no problem with gay bars, I just know some straight guys do.

She's right, this place is packed, the music's loud and it's only then I realise it's karaoke night.

Cora pushes through to the bar, she holds my hand and Mason keeps his on my back.

She then waves to one of the bartenders, his face lights up when he sees her. "Cora baby, it's been too long." He's defiantly gay and I'm not just judging by his tone, his eyes linger on Mason, smiling.

"Danny, you never come out anymore, I have to come here just to see you."

Her friend Danny looks at Mason, then finally to me. "And you brought friends."

"Danny, this is Ally and Mason."

He smiles, then places three shot glasses on the bar, filling them all up with...Vodka? Cora's pulls me closer, picking up two and passes me one, Mason isn't as reluctant as I am.

"Cheers," Cora says, then slings it back

I look to Mason who does the same, so I follow.

Scrunching my face as the clear liquid burns down my throat. "Again, again," I hear Cora say.

Only then I realise my glass has been refilled and Danny's watching me smiling.

**

How is it that we didn't pay for any drinks? every time any of us went to the bar, the drinks were free, Danny kept sending over shots.

I'm starting to feel the effect, the flashing lights, the music, I just want to dance.

So that's what we do.

Everyone's just so happy.

I thought that maybe Mason would try to get close to me, but he didn't, all three of us danced laughed and kept it friendly.

Maybe he doesn't want to make Cora feel left out, for whatever reason it is, I'm thankful.

The karaoke singers are actually really good and all of their song choices are perfect, whether it be an 80s ballad or a 90s love song, we all know the words.

Honestly, I haven't had this much fun in a while.

When I go out with Maddie, sure I have fun, but it always ends with one of us hooking up with a guy.

That's not what tonights about and if it was...we came to the wrong place.

We're on the dance floor, I have my eye closed as I move with the music.

Then it stops.

My body halts, opening my eyes I look around, everyone's still dancing, but I hear nothing.

Silence.

"Violet...Violet." That voice is sending chills down my spine, making my hairs stand up.

Looking around, trying to figure out where it's coming from.

Mason notices me being weird, just as his hand lands on my skin, my hearing comes back, almost bursting my eardrums, everything's so loud.

"Ally? you okay?" His lips are so close to my ear, maybe I look a little freaked out, cause now he's pulling me out of the crowd, Cora follows.

"You want to sing next?" Cora asks.

And I start to panic, singing is not my thing and being in front of this many people is a real-life nightmare.

"There's no way, nah ah...you can."

She smiles. "One day Ally, I'll get you up there." Then she runs off towards the bar.

I watch her, shaking my head, she's crazy, Mason's hand lands on my arm. "You okay?"

I start to fan myself. "Yeah, it's just so hot in here."

My tiredness is beginning to kick in, pulling my phone out, how'd it get so late? it's just after two.

Cora comes back, tucking two bottles of champagne under her jacket. "Cora?" I ask suspiciously.

"It's the last song, then they close, we need drinks for the walk home, oh and I already said bye and thanks to Danny."

I look over to the bar, he's waving goodbye.

"Come on, we better leave, you don't want to see this place when the lights turn on," she jokes, I wonder what she means.