13 | Side Effects

↞[Ken]↠

↞[Ken]↠

I woke up fully rested, still grudging to peel away from the warm sheets. Sunshine poured through the window above the bed, brightly lighting the whole place. The silence broke with the loud droning of cars passing by the house. The wall-mounted clock showed fifteen minutes past twelve.

Twelve. Fuck, I slept that much?

Hanging by the edge of my narrow bed, I felt like a lifeless rock until something tugged my torso, and I realized that my back was not pressed against the wall. Because walls are not warm and feel so much like a human. Luke's arm had been around me the whole night; now, it just felt like a part of me. I felt his consistent breathing, and every exhale tickling my skin over the shirt. My heart sped from how close we were, and I had a hard time believing we slept together. I slept with Luke Raynott. Well, we didn't do anything, but still—

Wait.

Luke was still here. Still beside me. He didn't sleepwalk. I turned in his grip, movement enough for his eyes to slowly flutter open. This was the first time I saw them from this proximity, and they were just as mystical and pretty. His irises dazzled, revealing intricate threads of blue hues whisking with light purple. They never failed to amaze me. His pink lips curved into a sensual smile as he placed his palm under his head and pulled me closer. Arms circling my waist entirely, his fingers curled under my stomach. It was annoying how small he made me feel even though we stood in the same height frame — almost.

"I can wake up every day like this," he said softly, yet in a hoarse morning-voice. Err, afternoon voice.

I gulped, lips twitching to kiss his dry ones. Suppressing the need, I said, "You didn't sleepwalk. Dude, you're still here!" Unable to hide the shock, my voice reverberated harshly.

He blinked, and eyes looked away from me as he registered my words. Unwrapping me, he slowly sat up, and I followed his lead. "I— Ken." He looked at me with surprise. "I didn't dream. I don't remember anything..." As his voice trailed off, a shadow moved across the window, momentarily casting the room in darkness.

I shivered and meekly stretched the warm sheet till my chin. "How? You think the witch finally lost your voodoo doll?"

He scoffed, eyebrow arching in amusement. "Really, Ken? A voodoo doll?"

"What? You got a better explanation?" I crossed my arms, letting the blanket fall and pool into our laps. Luke was still shirtless, though wearing his pajamas. His marks were still red, and the one from my mouth was the darkest. It almost gave me false hope. But I didn't let the thought rise.

"I don't. I've just never slept so..." He bit his lip.

Fuck, he did that so much. And each time it hitched my breath.

"Never slept so," I said with a playful smile, "peacefully? Without getting hit by a potential demon? So much like a normal human?"

He laughed, the tension dispelling with the blissful flow of his voice. "Yeah, that. I had forgotten how it felt to wake up so rested."