Shortlived euphoria

I'm just a mere school kid who's trying to enjoy a summer night with my dear girlfriend, we'd decided upon just hanging out in the downstairs living room along with my older sister, but then I hear a bit of ruckus coming from above the stairs, a bit of plates smashing off the kitchen floor, which was directly followed by a course of yells and arguments thrown after one another.
My girlfriend got stressed out by all the chaos taking place upstairs, and as a result, ran down the rather short, dark hallway, into my sister's room. She then curled up on the bed, and I soon followed, snuggling up to her, trying to give her at least a small sense of comfort and security.

And from that moment on, the span of about 10-30 minutes all felt like a blur, but one thing I did know, was the fact that upstairs became eerily quiet. Which wasn't a good sign after a violent argument that just took place.
Nonetheless, I sat up, gave my girlfriend a small, loving kiss on her forehead, and decided to check the above floor to see how everything was going.
But when I got there, not to my expectation, a little girl who looked to be around 9 years of age, stepped out of a room on the right of the staircase.
She gestured me to come in, I followed her instruction.